Registered Nursing Program
This is a full time, 4 semester (summers not included) program which meets during the day. Days and times vary per semester.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Licensing Exam for licensure as a registered nurse. Graduates may also transfer their units to any 4-year college or university if a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) is desired.
Our graduates have a 100% pass rate on the National Exam!
Admission to the Fall 2014 ADN class will be selected by the newly revised point system:
Admission Requirements and Application
* New admission requirement - Applicants must apply to MiraCosta and receive a student ID number before submitting an application to the program.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The following due dates apply:
||Notifications sent by
||End of April
||End of October
Once the five (5) pre-requisites are completed, you may submit your application with the required documentation to the Nursing Administration Bldg T420.
- Overall cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 for ALL college coursework.
- Completion of the following SCIENCE PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard grade or withdrawal in any one of the 3 courses:
- Human Anatomy (BIO210) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Human Physiology (BIO220) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Microbiology (BIO230) – 4 - 5 semester units or equivalent
Notes: Starting fall 2012, NURS151 is no longer accepted as the prerequisite for BIO210 and/or BIO220. Physiology and Microbiology must be completed within 7 years and Anatomy within 10 years preceding the qualifying date of eligibility.
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a grade of no less than “C”:
- Composition and Reading (ENGL100) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Intermediate Algebra (MATH64) – 4 semester units or equivalent (or a passing score on the Math Placement Test)
Those students holding a bachelor's degree in another discipline from a U.S. nationally accredited institution may not be required to take any other general education requirements for the A.S. Registered Nursing degree.
Note: Students who do not meet the G.P.A. or course repetition requirement should check with the Nursing Department for other options.
- Transcript Requirement: One original transcript in a sealed envelope from each college and university attended, including MiraCosta College, must be submitted with your application to the program.
- Foreign Transcripts: ALL foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency. If a foreign degree was earned, the evaluation must state its equivalency to a U.S. degree. Approved agencies can be found here.
- Testing Requirement: All students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) 5.0. We are no longer accepting other versions. This is a diagnostic test that covers basic Math, Reading, and Science. Students may prepare for this test by going to the ATI testing site and then go to ASSESSMENTS; go to Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
Denial of Licensure
- The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud or deceit. All students selected for enrollment in the nursing program will be assessed for past criminal activity prior to clinical experiences. Please contact the Program Director if you have questions.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment in the program, there are additional requirements