Board of governors (bog) Fee Waiver
The BOG Fee Waiver is a state sponsored program, which waives enrollment fees ($46/per unit) for qualifying students. You may be eligible for a fee waiver even if you are not eligible for other financial aid. We highly encourage you to apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To apply for a BOG Fee Waiver, please complete the FAFSA if you are a U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. If you do not meet the citizenship qualification but meet the AB540 residency standards, please complete the California Dream application to determine your BOG Fee Waiver eligibility.
- The BOG Fee Waiver covers the $46 per unit enrollment fee and parking fees in excess of $20 per semester (excluding summer and short term parking decals). Before you register for classes, check your SURF account to see if your BOG has been approved. (Log onto SURF, on your Student Center page click View Financial Aid).
- The BOG Fee Waiver does not cover the state mandated $19 Health Fee. The BOG Fee Waiver Method B & Method C do not cover the $1 per unit Student Center Fee. You may be dropped from your classes if you do not pay any outstanding fees at the time of enrollment in classes.
Important Changes to the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver
Effective Fall 2016, California Community College students receiving the BOG Fee Waiver must meet minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible. Students who are on academic/progress probation/dismissal for two consecutive semesters will no longer qualify for a BOG Fee Waiver the following term.
What does that mean? It means that students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and must successfully complete more than 50% of attempted units. After Spring 2016 grades have been finalized, students will be notified by email if they are being placed on either academic (GPA) probation and/or progress probation. Your notification will inform you if you will lose your BOG eligibility, registration priority, or both. Please refer to this list of FAQs for more information.
Want more information?
The Financial Aid Office will be hosting workshops to cover these changes. Please continue to check this website for upcoming workshop dates. In the meantime, please refer to this list of FAQs for more information.
There are three types of BOG Fee Waivers
Is for students on public assistance programs: TANF/CalWORKS, SSI/SSP, or General Assistance. It is also for dependents of disabled or deceased California Veterans or National Guard, recipient or child of the Congressional Medal of Honor, or the dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, but certification must be obtained from the appropriate agency. Documentation will be required to verify your eligibility.
Is for low income students. It is based on the previous year's income. This requires completion of a FAFSA or Dream Act Application and submission of all necessary forms to the Financial Aid Office. Processing of a financial aid file can take from 6 to 8 weeks.
Students who do not qualify under either Method A or B can receive a Method C waiver by establishing financial need for federal assistance through the MiraCosta Financial Aid Office. This requires completion of a FAFSA or Dream Act Application and submission of all necessary forms to the Financial Aid Office. Processing of a financial aid file can take from 6 to 8 weeks.
- PLEASE ALLOW 7-10 WORKING DAYS TO PROCESS, ONCE YOUR FAFSA IS RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE.
- We CANNOT honor a waiver from another school. You must add MiraCosta College's federal school code (001239) to your FAFSA or Dram Act Application in order to receive the BOG Fee Waiver.
- You must be a California resident.
- BOG Fee Waiver applicants only need to apply once to have fees waived for the academic year. If you apply in Fall, the BOG Fee Waiver will cover Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters.
- BOG Fee Waiver is not a book award.
- BOG Fee Waiver is not a loan.
- BOG Fee Waiver applicants do not have to be enrolled in a minimum number of courses - whether you take 1 unit or 21 units, the enrollment fee may be waived.