Do you enjoy helping people? Do you want to make a difference in people’s lives? The Health Sciences ACP will prepare you for careers and transfer study in the world of health research, medical treatments, nursing, healing practices, athletic training, fitness, and nutrition studies. Join this ACP and start exploring career opportunities in one of the fastest growing sectors!
- Our courses will provide a strong foundation for transfer in the fields of medical practice, nursing, nutrition, and physical education.
- Our career-track certificate and degree programs will prepare you for careers in surgical technology, nursing, athletic training, fitness, yoga, medical assisting and medical coding, and other health-related fields.
Careers in Health Science *
- Registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, certified nursing assistants, surgical technologists, public health nurses, and school nurses.
- Medical assistants, medical records technicians, and medical coders.
- Athletic trainers, fitness trainers, yoga teachers, yoga physical therapists, and dietitians.
- Physician assistants, health care managers, nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives, physicians, and pharmacists.
*Many of these careers require a bachelor’s degree or higher.
After graduating from Valley High School, Shirece worked for 12 years as a dental auditor for Delta Dental. Shirece, like her mother, was blessed to buy her own home… and one on a lake at Laguna West Elk Grove! Shirece, however, hit a roadblock when she lost her employment and soon after lost her home. She then became homeless. She moved to Southern California to live with her family and began to redesign her life to become a registered nurse. Having attended college off and on, Shirece knew she wanted to earn a college degree and asked her uncle and aunt where the closet college was located. That’s how she found herself at MiraCosta College.
Life at MiraCosta College is a blessing. The college has given me every opportunity I need to succeed in furthering my education.”
Shirece currently attends MiraCosta and is taking classes to become a registered nurse and holistic health practitioner. READ MORE ABOUT SHIRECE.
Programs of Study
KEY: Certificate of Proficiency Certificate of Achievement Associate Degree Bachelor's Degree
|Program of Study||Programs||Sequence|
|Kinesiology||Personal Fitness Trainer|
|Yoga Instructor (200 Hours)|
|Yoga Instructor (300 Hours)||MAP|
|Liberal Arts: Applied Health, Nutrition, and Kinesiology||Liberal Arts: Applied Health, Nutrition, and Kinesiology|
|Medical Admin Professional||Medical Insurance and Coding Specialist|
|Medical Office Clinical and Administrative Professional|
|Medical Office Clinical Professional|
|Medical Office Professional||MAP|
|Medical Office Professional|
|Medical Office Specialist|
|Nursing||Certified Nursing Assistant|
|Home Health Aide|
|Licensed Vocational Nursing||MAP|
|Registered Nursing (ADN - Track 1 with CSU GE)||MAP|
|Registered Nursing (ADN - Track 1 with MCC GE)||MAP|
|Registered Nursing (LVN-to-RN)|
|Nutrition||Fitness Nutrition Specialist|
|Nutrition and Dietetics for Transfer||MAP|
|Surgical Technology||Surgical Technology||MAP|
**These maps are suggested sequences for course completion. Please consult a counselor to first complete an educational plan.
Not Sure which major to choose? Explore your options here.