Employee Password Information
Employee passwords expired Tuesday, October 28, 2014. All employees are required to change their passwords in order to access District network resources including (wired and wireless) including SURF, MiraCosta email, Blackboard (including the faculty Blackboard student account), ILINX, Moodle, sFTP, 25Live,TracDat, PeopleSoft Financials, and Library digital resources. Passwords for SARS-GRID or WebCMS are not affected by this expiration; see section below, Passwords for Other Systems, for contact information about changing these passwords.
Instructions for Changing Passwords
- 1 - Determine your new confidential password
See both sections below: Password Requirements and Recommendations, and design your new confidential password -- write it down.
- 2 - In your browser, enable Pop-ups
Ensure that pop-ups are enabled in the browser.
- 3 - (ON-CAMPUS USERS): Login to your PC or MAC* login screen (*including the Keychain password)
(REMAINING USERS): Login to the Password Management System https://pw.miracosta.edu/Staff
Click the link above and a new window will open. Enter your Staff/Faculty Active Directory (your user name, for example: gjetson) into the field for Surf ID/Staff-Faculty Active Directory and click Continue. If you see Authentication Methods, select Use Password.
This is where you will also change your faculty Blackboard student account by logging in with the account's login ID (for example: gjetson-student). This account's password will not automatically be changed when you update your Employee Password -- it must be manually changed using the link above.
- 4 - Enter your current (not new) password
After three failed attempts, the system will temporarily lock -- wait approximately 10 minutes and try again. If this does not resolve your situation, refer to the troubleshooting steps (shown below) prepared for this process.
- 5 - Change your password
- 6 - After successfully changing your password
(ON-CAMPUS USERS): Restart your computer now and re-login with your new password.
(REMAINING USERS): Exit the system by clicking the door icon in the upper-right corner.
- 7 - Test your new password
Login to a college networked resource (on-campus Windows login or Outlook Web Access or SURF or Blackboard...) to test your new password.
If you have issues with this process, troubleshoot before calling the Help Desk; your situation can most likely be resolved with minor adjustments to your browser's settings.
- cannot be the same as any of the last ten (10) passwords
- must have at least 8 characters
- must have at least 2 letters
- must have both upper and lower case letters
- must have at least 1 digit
- can be the same as your employee accounts' password (i.e., SURF, email, Blackboard)
- must only contain characters available on a standard English (U.S.) keyboard. (*SEE BELOW: Valid characters)
- cannot be the Surf ID nor user's real name
- cannot be the Surf ID or user's real name backwards
- cannot contain the Surf ID nor user's real name
- cannot contain the Surf ID nor user's real name backwards
- cannot be the Surf ID nor user's real name rearranged
- cannot contain spaces (but may use the space character _ ) or,
- cannot have more than 2 pairs of repeating characters
- Valid characters* are restricted to the set of characters which can be typed on a standard English
- Space ( _ ) character
- should include at least 16 characters
- be a passphrase rather than a password (write a full sentence for your password); be sure to misspell a word or two!
In accordance to the District's Security Plan, employee passwords are administratively expired twice each year, once during each Spring and Fall semesters. Contact the Employee Technology Help Desk (https://portal.miracosta.edu/) with any questions or issues about the employee password reset process (email@example.com, 760.795.6850 or x6850).
Passwords for Other Systems
The following passwords are NOT synchronized with your SURF/Email/Windows/Blackboard accounts and must be changed separately from the above password process:
Faculty's Student Blackboard account
Change this password with the same process as the regular Blackboard account, except login with this account's login ID (for example: gjetson-student)..