Request a Student Intern
Thank you for your interest in helping MiraCosta College students gain experience in the workforce. Internships are designed to provide MiraCosta College students with workplace experience. Students in this program receive college credit for their internship responsibilities, regardless of whether or not they are paid. Employers are expected to provide training and guidance to the student intern, meet with the instructor, evaluate the intern's performance with the instructor, and complete an evaluation.
If you need assistance with your internship listing or have questions regarding internships, please call 760.795.6772 or email: email@example.com
Internships & Cooperative Education Program Information
Internships and Co-ops are designed to provide MiraCosta students with workplace experience and new or improved skills. These programs offer business, industry, and organizations the talents and energy of students who not only contribute to workforce development but strengthen the link between the educational and business communities.
The program benefits students, faculty, and the academic programs by linking classroom learning to the work world, providing opportunities for mentor relationships, maintaining a flow of trained personnel into the occupational field, and adding significant work experience to students' resumes.
- Submits a Request for Intern
- Provides a learning environment and appropriate tasks for the student.
- Offers training and guidance to the student.
- Meets with the student's instructor at the beginning and end of the semester to set goals and to evaluate the student's progress.
- Verifies that required hours have been completed by the student.
- Complies with the expectations outlined in the Employer Letter (PDF).
- Finds an internship. See available opportunities in CareerPoint (guest access: username: gstudent, password: w1234567) or come to the Career Center.
- Develops workplace learning objectives with the instructor.
- Meets with the instructor at the internship site twice during the semester. (At the beginning of the internship and at the end of the semester)
- Completes monthly hours reports on Blackboard verifying time worked. For each unit of credit, students must intern a minimum of 60 non-paid hours or 75 paid hours.
- Completes required assignments.
- Adheres to the program requirements as outlined in the Syllabus.
- Submits assignments and monthly hours reports via Blackboard. Please contact the Student Help Desk or the Career Center if you need assistance.
- Completes the Student Orientation.
- Serves as the teacher of record and faculty mentor for the enrolled student.
- Develops workplace learning objectives with the student and signs the Training Agreement with the internship site supervisor.
- Meets with the student twice during the semester.
- Reviews the student's work, evaluates accomplishment of learning objectives, verifies that required hours have been completed, assigns a grade, and documents SLO's.
- Completes a Faculty Mentor Orientation.
Internship Studies and Cooperative Work Experience Education courses are transferrable to the CSU system. Credit options vary based on the number of hours the student is interning/working and the availability of courses during any given semester.
|HOURS||= PAID||HOURS||= UNPAID|
|3 unit||= 225 hours||3 unit||= 180 hours|
|2 unit||= 150 hours||2 unit||= 120 hours|
|1 unit||= 75 hours||1 unit||= 60 hours|
|4 unit||= 300 hours||(Available in Paid Occupational Work Experience Only)|