Applying to the Center
- If you are interested in applying for the Fall semester, the center's application becomes active on May 1st. If you are interested in applying for the Spring semester, the application becomes active on November 1st. If the link is not active, the center is no longer accepting applications for that current semester.
APPLY FOR Spring 2020
- Childcare Tuition: 2019-2020 Childcare Fees
- August 19: Semester Begins
- September 2: Closed for Labor Day
- November 11: Closed for Veteran's Day
- November 28 & 29: Closed for Thanksgiving
- December 13: Semester Ends
- January 21: Semester Begins
- February 14 & 17: Closed for Presidents' Day
- March 16-20: Closed for Spring Break
- May 22: Semester Ends
Admission is open to all children 18 months to 4.11 years of age regardless of race, creed, color, ability, or national origin. Children of students, staff, and community may be enrolled two to five days per week for either the morning or extended day program (extended day programming is not available in the toddler classrooms). Priority enrollment and discounted tuition are provided to MiraCosta College student families (enrolled in 6 or more units).
As a campus lab school, we strive to craft classroom enrollment that reflects the diversity of today’s families. As such, we include consideration of student status, age, gender, primary language, ethnicity, and developmental needs in our enrollment decisions.
There is no registration fee. Applications are available online at the end of each semester. Open enrollment for the Fall semester begins May 1st; open enrollment for the Spring semester begins November 1st. Initial enrollment decisions are made before the end of each semester for the following term, with additional child enrollment continuing up through the first few weeks of the semester. Spring semester tends to be more difficult to place new children since continuing children have priority for enrollment and fewer spaces are available to new families. Once admitted and enrolled, families do not have to reapply each semester.
The Child Development Center does not maintain a wait list across semesters, and does not accept applications at times other than those designated above. Families who are not accepted are encouraged to re-apply the following semester, with priority consideration granted over first-time (non-student) applicants.
Once admitted, children must present an immunization record, signed/stamped by a physician or other medical professional, which shows that all currently required immunizations have been received. (Physical exam forms do not meet this requirement). A number of additional forms required by Community Care Licensing must be completed prior to a child’s actual attendance in the classroom.
The preschool classes enroll children between 18 months to 4.11 years of age at entrance, who are not yet kindergarten eligible. None of our classrooms require children to be toilet trained (as this is viewed as a developmental process that occurs in partnership with families). All Center classrooms are inclusive and reflect the wide diversity of today's families. The primary criterion of eligibility is the child’s emotional readiness to be separated from his/her parents and the parents’ willingness to share the care of the child with the Child Development Center staff.
Toddlers & Two-Year-Olds
Morning Program: 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Extended Day Program: Not Available
Morning Program: 8:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. (Room 3), 8:45 a.m. - 12:00 pm (Rooms 4 & 5)
Extended Day Program: 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
*Early care starting at 7:30 a.m. is available only for students with classes during those times or staff working on campus. The extended day program in the preschool classrooms includes flexible pick-up beginning at 2:30 p.m. The extended day program is available only for students with classes during those times or staff working on campus.
- Room #1: Toddler (18-24 months). 12 children w/3 staff (1:4 ratio). This room provides our youngest children what is often their first group experience. Focus is given to developing quality relationships through consistent routines, as children master self-help and social-interaction skills. Morning programming only; lunch option available until 12:00 p.m. for students in class during those times.
- Room #2: Two-Year-Olds (24-30 months). 15 children w/3 staff (1:5 ratio). Children engage in developmentally appropriate learning experiences across a variety of interest centers. Morning programming only; lunch option available until 12:00 p.m. for students in class during those times.
- Room #3: Young Preschool (2.7 – 3.4 years). 18 children w/3 staff (1:6 ratio). Children engage in developmentally appropriate learning experiences across a variety of interest centers. Morning or extended day options available.
- Rooms #4 and #5: Preschool (3.5 - 5.0 years): 22 children w/3 staff (1:8 ratio). This class provides the preschool child a developmentally appropriate early learning experience, serving as the foundation for a successful transition to kindergarten or a final year in preschool. Morning or extended day options available.