English Language Institute
Transportation / Home Stay Services
Housing is the responsibility of the individual student and/or sponsor. MiraCosta College does not provide dormitories or college-approved housing for students. Below are listed some web sites and phone numbers of companies/organizations that can assist you with planning your arrival to San Diego County. MiraCosta College assumes no responsibility and has no knowledge of the condition of housing advertised or the character/reputation of those seeking housing.
Y.E.S. ESL International, Inc. provides a quality home stay program. Our host families are chosen after interviews and careful screening by staff. Please contact us at (619) 450 4675 or email us at email@example.com
- Homestay Services International - If you are interested in participating in a homestay program you may contact Homestay Services International at P.O. Box 402, Spring Valley, CA 91976, USA. Tel. 619/461-4764, Fax. 619/670-3397.
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce web site offers information on accommodations, transportation, local attractions, tours, area map, etc. In this web site you can also get information on temporary housing (hotels/motels) options.
- http://www.aptsforrent.com This site will help you in locating apartments that are available in the San Diego area.
- San Diego READER magazine web site will provide you with information on roommates, rentals, cars, etc.
- MiraCosta College Student Housing
Public transportation is limited but improving in San Diego County. The North County Transit District (NCTD) serves the MiraCosta District and connects with the Coaster and Amtrak to travel beyond North County.
Bus/Light Rail System (Sprinter and Breeze)
North County Transit District (NCTD) operates public transit services to two Oceanside MiraCosta campuses. For more information about transit schedules in North County, visit GoNCTD.com or call 511 for personalized trip planning.
In partnership with NCTD, MiraCosta College and the Associated Student Government offer a discounted monthly transportation pass for $44 (instead of $59). The pass provides unlimited use on the SPRINTER, a light rail train that runs from Oceanside to Escondido, and the BREEZE buses with routes throughout North County. The number of discount passes are limited and are available on a first come, first served basis at the Student Accounts Office at the Oceanside Campus (Bldg. 3200) and the San Elijo Campus (Admin. Bldg.) and at the Community Learning Center. The discount monthly College Pass is only available to students with a valid MiraCosta student ID card. Passes go on sale the 25th of the month.
The SPRINTER light rail train stops at the Rancho del Oro station every half-hour and connects with the BREEZE bus route 319 to complete the trip to the Oceanside campus. The SPRINTER operates from 4:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. (approximately). Bus 319 is at the Rancho del Oro station five minutes before and five minutes after every train.
The BREEZE bus Route 302 serves the Oceanside Campus seven days a week, running approximately every 30 minutes until 10 p.m.
Community Learning Center
BREEZE bus route 303 serves the Community Learning Center on Mission Avenue in Oceanside every 15 minutes until 6 p.m. and every 30 minutes until 11 p.m. BREEZE bus route 313 also serves this campus with hourly service on weekdays.
San Elijo Campus
Effective August 10, the FAST service is discontinued.
The San Elijo Campus also has a student carpool plan.
The Coaster is an option for students who want to travel between downtown San Diego and Oceanside. The Coaster is a commuter train and monthly passes are available. For more information about the schedule and fares, visit GoNCTD.com. The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Coaster at the Oceanside Transit Center.
The AMTRAK train is available to students who want to travel throughout California or to other states. AMTRAK fares depend on the time of year, your destination, how far in advance you order your tickets, and whether you want coach or sleeper space.The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Amtrak/Coaster station.
For more information on San Diego commute you may visit: http://www.transit.511sd.com
Bicycling is used by some of our students as the most economical way to get around the MiraCosta College campus. If you plan to ride a bicycle you should be aware of some safety procedures:
- A helmet is strongly recommended. A helmet is mandatory if you are under 18 years of age.
- Reflective clothing is crucial if you are riding at night, as well as a headlight, rear light and reflector.
- Bicyclists must comply with the same traffic regulations as motorists, so you need to obtain a copy of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handbook.
The easiest but not the cheapest way to move around is by automobile. A reliable used car costs at least $2,500. Additional costs of having a car are the mandatory insurance as well as necessary repairs and fuel.
International students must obtain a California Driving License even if you have a valid international license. Prior to receiving a license the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require:
- A social security card or a letter of denial from the social security office.
- Your passport, I-20 and a valid I-94 card.
- A written test as well as driving test.
After you have completed this process, a temporary license will be issued until a confirmation on your status is received by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The actual driving license will be mailed to you as soon as this confirmation is received, and this process may take as long as 9 months.
For more information, please visit the DMV Web site.Car Insurance
If you purchase a car in California you must purchase insurance as well. The car insurance costs approximately $1,000 per year but it also depends on your driving records. Most insurance companies do require driving records for the past three years so it is advisable that you bring your driving records. In order for you to receive the cheapest insurance rate, you will need to "shop" (call or search through internet for the cheapest rate). Below, we have listed some web site addresses of car insurance companies:
- http://automobileinsurances.com - Receive fast auto insurance quote online and compare rates from leading car insurance companies instantly.
The San Elijo Campus has a student carpool plan.Rent a Car
Renting a car is an option for students who want to do some sightseeing and travel to places such as Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, and Sea World. If you consider renting a car, you need to know that most car rental companies require that are at least 25 years of age, have a valid driving license, and a credit card. Below are listed some car rental web sites: