MiraCosta College offers credit and noncredit ESL classes.
The noncredit ESL program offers seven levels of ESL instruction. Students take a CASAS placement test during registration and are placed in one of the seven levels based on their listening and reading skills. The program levels chart provides recommended entry level CASAS scores and descriptions for the seven levels of ESL instruction.
MiraCosta College’s noncredit Vocational English as a Second Language program at the Community Learning Center offers courses that will help you explore career options, prepare to get a job, improve your English skills for your current job, or prepare to study for a career.
Students may enroll in the afternoon course in which they practice English for getting a job, communicating in the workplace, working as part of a team, and completing important speaking, reading and writing tasks and projects related to work.
Students can study modules to help them gain vocabulary and reading skills in one of these in-demand career fields:
- Automotive Technology
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Child Development
- Computer Information Science
- Customer Service
- Office Systems
- Travel and Tourism
- View VESL Flyer (PDF)
- View VESL Website
Citizenship instruction is offered in the Community Learning Lab. This open entry course allows you to have a flexible schedule and personalized instruction.
- You are required to attend a 30 minute explanation of the class.
- Work at your own pace when the Community Learning Lab is open.
- Complete individualized citizenship assignments using computers, videos and instructional packets!
- View Citizenship Flyer (PDF)
Friday and Saturday Classes
ESL students have the opportunity to enroll in Saturday school. There are two levels of English language instruction from 8:30 - 11:50 a.m.
ESL Learning Lab
Learn English in the Community Learning Lab. We have several ESL software programs to help you learn and improve your English.
MiraCosta College Noncredit ESL received recognition from
the California Department of Education for five Promising Practices.
- The Action Research Project-Identified Priority Outcomes For Six Levels Of Instruction
- The Fast Track Citizenship Classes
- Distance Learning Program
- Managed Enrollment
- Community Learning Lab
- Using EL Civics Assessments to Prepare for Post Secondary Transition