Credit by Exam
Credit by exam is only offered during the spring and fall semesters.
This is your best option if you are already proficient in a foreign language and all you need is the units to satisfy a requirement. No attendance is necessary; your time will be spent preparing for a comprehensive written final and a comprehensive speaking exam, both of which are representative of what a student should know at the end of the semester in a particular level.
You must be currently enrolled in at least three units at MiraCosta College to receive credit for:
- SPAN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Rosa Viramontes
- FREN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Cristina Toharia
- ITAL 101, 102, 201, 202, 210
Contact Andrea Petri
- JAPN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Emiko Kiyochi
Spring 2020 Spanish CBE Information
Currently, the International Languages Department at MiraCosta College does not offer credit by exam in German. (You might want to check with another college to see if they do.) Upon approval of the Credit by Examination Coordinator, students are allowed to take a maximum of two exams per semester (except during summer, when the maximum is one exam).
All Credit By Exam Student TO-DO List?
- Print the Credit By Exam Form.
- Email the contact person for your language above to get the CBE form signed.
- Go to Admissions & Records (A&R) to enroll in Credit by Exam (CBE) by the 6th week of classes.
- Email the language contact person above to set up a date and time to take the exam.
- Show up 5 minutes early on your confirmed date and time.
- Take the 2-hour exam.
- Wait until all fall grades are posted at the end of the semester for results.
- Upon approval of the Credit by Examination Coordinator, students are allowed to take a maximum of two exams per semester (except during summer, when the maximum is one exam).