MiraCosta Online Educators (MOE)
As a standing committee of the MiraCosta Academic Senate, the mission of MiraCosta Online Educators (MOE) is to provide advice and counsel to the Academic Senate and the MiraCosta community regarding online education. MOE’s focus is to fulfill the mission expressed in the Online Education Plan: embracing student-centered, engaging, and accessible Online Education that meets student needs, enhances the learning experience, and broadens access to superior educational opportunities and support services.
MOE fulfills its mission through functions including:
- Advising and making recommendations to the Academic Senate, academic departments, and faculty in general regarding online education as it relates to course and program development and evaluation, DE policy and procedures, and student success.
- Serving as a resource to the Faculty Director of Online Education, Academic Information Services, the Office of Instruction, Student Services, and others on issues pertaining to online education as a separate mode of delivery with specific needs, including:
- regulatory standards and accreditation requirements
- faculty support
- student support
- program review
- budget and planning
- technology evaluation, planning, purchasing, and support
- engagement with regional, state, and national online education collaboratives, initiatives, and professional organizations
- annual reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- Serving as a resource to the Academic Affairs Committee on fulfillment of and periodic updates to the Online Education Plan.
- Serving as a resource to the Courses & Programs Committee on curriculum policies and procedures related to distance education.
- Serving as a resource to PDP on needs particular to professional development of faculty in online education.
- Serving as a resource to PG&E on matters of faculty evaluation related to online education.
- Reporting to the Academic Senate on the above and any other issues pertaining to online education and areas of Senate primacy.
MOE’s membership comprises 10-12 members serving two-year terms. Terms are renewable. Terms should be staggered so that no more than 60% of the committee turns over in a given year. From among its members, MOE elects a chair to serve a one-year term. MOE’s membership includes:
- Faculty Director of Online Education
- At least 8 full-time faculty, at least 5 of whom should have online or hybrid teaching experience. Areas that must be represented include library, CTE, and GE. It is desirable but not required to include:
- a counselor, transfer center representative, or articulation officer,
- and a non-credit or pre-transfer level faculty member.
- 1 or 2 associate faculty as appointed by Senate president or designee.
For 2016-17, MOE generally meets 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month, 9:30-11, in OC 1253B and online. See the meeting schedule & online access page for details. See the agendas & minutes page for published information on past meetings; agendas for upcoming meetings are published at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting.
For 2016-17, Jim Julius is the chair of MOE. See also the membership page for a full list of committee members.
email@example.com | 760.695.6745
MiraCosta Online Educators (MOE) served as an ad hoc Academic Senate committee following the MiraCosta governance reorganization of 2009 until the fall of 2014, when it was approved as an AS standing committee. You may view MOE's annual reports to AS: