LVN-RN Nursing Program
This is a full time program, beginning every summer. Please refer to the current Class Schedule for course days and times. However, the schedule is subject to change without notice.
- Studies show that nursing students who work more than 24 hours per week (even in the health care setting) tend not to be successful in an RN program. It is highly recommended to restrict working hours
Admission Requirements and Application
* New admission requirement - Applicants must apply to MiraCosta and receive a student ID number before submitting an application to the program.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis.
Applications received by February 28, 2017 will be considered for the Summer 2017 class. Those received after that date, will be considered for the following year. Notification will be sent by April.
Eligibility Requirements for the LVN-RN Program
ALL of the following must be met in order to be eligible to APPLY to the LVN-RN Career Ladder Program.
- California Vocational Nursing License in good standing and six months work experience working as an LVN is preferred.
- Overall cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 for all college coursework
- Completion of the following science PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard grade or withdrawal in any one of the 3 courses:
- Human Anatomy (BIO210) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Human Physiology (BIO220) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Microbiology (BIO230) – 4 - 5 semester units or equivalent
Physiology and Microbiology must be completed within 7 years and Anatomy within 10 years preceding the qualifying date of eligibility.
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a grade of no less than “C”
- Composition and Reading (ENGL00) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Intermediate Algebra (MATH64) – 4 semester units or equivalent (or a passing score on the Math Placement Test)
- Pharmacology Review & Update (PHAR201) – 2 semester units or equivalent
Note: Sociology/Psychology and Communication/Speech must be completed to receive points in the “Fixed Set” GPA section.
- Students who do not meet the G.P.A. or course repetition requirement should check with the Nursing Department for other options.
- Those students holding a bachelor’s degree in another discipline from a U.S. nationally accredited institution will not be required to take any other general education requirements for the A.S. Registered Nursing degree.
- One official transcript in a sealed envelope from each college and university attended, including MiraCosta College, must be submitted with your application to the program.
- Testing Requirement: All students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) version 5.0 or ATI TEAS. Previous versions are no longer accepted. This is a diagnostic test that covers basic Math, Reading, and Science. Students may prepare for this test by going to the ATI testing site, then go to ASSESSMENTS; and then go to Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
Starting September 1, 2016, the TEAS 5.0 will no longer be available through ATI and students must take the new version, ATI TEAS. We will be accepting both TEAS 5.0 and ATI TEAS through August 2017, but will be requiring all students to submit ATI TEAS results by September 1, 2017.
If you are currently waiting to get into the LVN-RN program, you may submit ATI TEAS results to be considered in place of your current TEAS 5.0 score for higher points towards admission.
- If you took a prerequisite course in a foreign country, foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency.
Non-Degree 30-Unit Option
- Any LVN licensed in the state of California is eligible to apply for the Non-Degree 30-Unit Option LVN-RN program, for which MiraCosta College acts as a facilitator. This program is prescribed by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) and provides an RN license for California only. Other states may not recognize this option. A maximum of 30 units of nursing and support courses is required to fulfill the unit requirement for licensure by the BRN. This program is offered as space allows. Please contact the Nursing and Allied Health Department for course requirements.
Denial of Licensure
- The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud or deceit. All students selected for enrollment in the nursing program will be assessed for past criminal activity prior to clinical experiences. Please contact the Program Director if you have questions.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment in the program, there are additional requirements
- Health Requirements: Applicants selected for enrollment in the program must have a physical examination, laboratory tests, and immunizations just prior to starting the Nursing Program. The student must be free from communicable diseases, infections, and must be able to perform the essential requirements of the program with or without reasonable accommodations for disability.
- Orientation and Advisement Session must be attended once accepted for enrollment in the program.
- ALL nursing students in ALL programs will be required to complete the background check and urine drug screen BEFORE BEGINNING THE NURSING PROGRAMS IN SAN DIEGO - THIS IS A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE AGENCY REQUIREMENT. Students will be given the information to obtain these requirements at the orientation and advisement.
*Note: If you have any convictions on your background check in the last 7 years, you will not be eligible to start the program.
Board of Registered Nursing
1170 Durfee Av., Suite G
South El Monte, CA. 91733-4400