Professional Development Program / Flex
PDP is the acronym for the Professional Development Program at MiraCosta College: an effort to provide faculty with a comprehensive and systematic program of activities and resources designed to foster staff, student, and/or instructional improvement.
The PDP committee develops the local policies and procedures pursuant to our participation in the state's Flexible Calendar Program, a privilege afforded to community colleges whereby instructional time can be replaced by "flex" time on the academic calendar. Thus, PDP-sponsored activities are sometimes referred to as "flex" activities or activities done for "flex" credit.
The program also sponsors workshops during flex week and throughout the term, develop the flex calendar, maintain a library of resources and equipment for faculty use, offers funds to support travel to and participation in professional development activities, assists faculty with maintaining their flex transcripts, and provides access to other relevant resources.
Current Flex Schedule
SPRING 2017 FLEX SCHEDULE - Friday, January 13th through Friday, January 20th, 2017!
Full FLEX Week Schedule for the Oceanside Campus (PDF - one page)
FLEX Week Schedule for Online, Offsite, and San Elijo Campus (PDF - one page)
Daily FLEX Week Schedule [Oceanside ONLY] - January 13, 17, 18, 19, and 20 (PDF - five pages)
NOTE: The single PDF document for the Daily Flex Schedule [Oceanside ONLY] has an individual page for each
of FLEX week.
REMINDER: After you attend a FLEX workshop, please click on the workshop name on your MyFlex Transcript and
fill out the online evaluation form for that workshop linked to MyFlex! Thank you!
AND... Don't forget to SIGN-IN to all workshops you attend during FLEX week!
OTHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES, Flex Week and Beyond!
In addition our robust workshop offerings during flex week, consider participating in these other professional development activities:
- Writing Center Connections: Connect with the Writing Center in an individualized discovery session, and together we can find personalized ways the center can support your students within and outside the classroom to achieve course goals. Make an appointment with Stephanie Taylor, email.
- Go2Knowledge Online Trainings: Go2Knowledge provides online, on-demand professional development for higher education. There are over 100 trainings in 6 categories: student success, teaching & learning, technology, at-risk populations. campus safety & organizational development. Trainings can be completed at your own pace. A printable certification of completion can be printed and submitted as verification for flex credit. Instructions: go to this link and then click on the link “Go to the Trainings page”. Enter username “MiraCosta College” and the password is “Go2MiraCosta”.
- Support LGBTQ Students: An interactive, online training simulation aimed at helping faculty support LGBTQ students to create a safe classroom for all students. This training can be completed over multiple sittings anywhere that you have computer access. Please use your MiraCosta College email address when setting up your account. Go to this link.
- Mental Health--Identifying At-Risk Students: An interactive, online training simulation aimed at helping faculty become better prepared to identify and approach students in mental distress, and refer them to the Health Services for personal counseling. This training can be completed over multiple sittings anywhere that you have computer access. Please use your MiraCosta College email address when setting up your account. Go to this link.
- Veterans on Campus: An interactive, online training simulation aimed at helping faculty become better prepared to identify and approach veterans in mental distress, and refer them to the Health Services for personal counseling. This training can be completed over multiple sittings anywhere that you have computer access. Please use your MiraCosta College email address when setting up your account. Go to this link.
- Cyber Security Training: To help protect our confidential assets, AIS has developed an active Security Awareness Program to provide user awareness education through a self-paced online training. The goal of this training is to educate and protect college employees by encouraging safe practices. This program is based on Securing The Human, a series of highly engaging, online training modules developed using advanced video animation technology to ensure the greatest learning impact. To access this training, visit the AIS website and select “Security Training” (You will be asked to sign in with your college user id and password).
Back to top
NOTE: The reporting DEADLINE for Professional Development / FLEX activities is the end of the 12th week of the current semester in which you teach.
FALL 2016: Thursday, November 10, 2016
SPRING 2017: Friday, April 21, 2017
The reporting DEADLINE for Professional Development / FLEX activities is June 1st.
Informational Presentations (and Forms)
Back to top
PDP / Flex
One Barnard Drive, M/S 8C
Oceanside, CA 92056
Oceanside Campus Map, Room 4603
Mon - Fri 8:00am to 4:30pm
P 760.757.2121 x6498
Back to top
PDP Committee Members 2016 - 2017 [updated list coming soon]
Back to Top