Information for Associate Faculty
While associate faculty are under no obligation to participate in the Flex / Professional Development Program, MiraCosta College is pleased to offer associates the opportunity and enthusiastically encourages it. Please consult the program handbook (available from the "Documents and Forms" page) for a comprehensive treatment of the program and its policies and procedures.
Most associate faculty who choose to participate in professional development at MiraCosta attend (and present!) workshops during flex week as a way of interacting with colleagues. We invite you to participate in as many workshops as you like, and urge you to register as early as possible since some workshops have limits and fill early, while those with low enrollments may be cancelled. The current term's flex week schedule is posted on the main site page.
Any MCC-offered activity is considered a "Category I" activity; "Category II" activities are those non-MCC-offered activities for which you can produce documentation proving your participation (certificate of completion, registration receipt, etc.), and a "Category III" activity is any activity for which you do not have the documentation listed for Category II. All of these types of activities are available to faculty, provided they meet the criteria for flex-eligible professional development as defined by the state (see "Documents and Forms").
If you have questions or suggestions for professional development activities, please contact PDP. If you are interested in presenting or facilitating a professional development workshop at any time during the year, please propose a flex workshop. Your participation and ideas are integral to the strength and health of MiraCosta's Professional Development Program.
Guidelines for Associate Faculty Flex Participation
- Associate faculty are subject to the same guidelines as full-time faculty for participating in and recording flex credit.
- Associates can be compensated for flex-eligible professional development activities performed only between the first and last days (inclusive) of the semester in which s/he is teaching. Summer and intersessions are not flex-eligible periods for associates.
- Associates can be compensated for their flex-eligible professional development hours based on the number of LHE (lecture hour equivalents) taught in a semester. See the MiraCosta Community College Associate Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement which specifically defines the amount of flex-eligible professional development time that an associate can be compensated for.
- To receive compensation for flex-eligible professional development activities, print a hardcopy of your properly documented electronic transcript from MyFlex (see instructions on that page). Fill out timesheets ("Documents and Forms") as necessary and attach them to the transcript. Submit the transcript and timesheet(s) to Debby Adler in the Flex Office (OC 4603, M/S 8C) no later than the last day of classes during the term in which the activities were performed.
- Documentation for fall credit must be received by the last day of classes of the fall semester.
- Documentation for spring credit must be received by the last day of classes of the spring semester.
- There are no exceptions to these deadlines.
For assistance with the types of activities that are flex-eligible, see the "Documents and Forms" page.