MiraCosta College is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, and community members.
The District is closely monitoring developments related to a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus (now called “COVID-19"). This illness was first identified in December 2019 in China, with cases now identified in other countries, including the United States.
MiraCosta College is taking extended measures to ensure a hygienic environment, including disinfecting and cleaning common areas, and ensuring that soap and hand sanitizer is available throughout our campus sites. Hand washing with soap is the most effective way to reduce the spread of infections.
Furthermore, MiraCosta College has developed a dedicated webpage to communicate updates on COVID-19. To get current information please visit: miracosta.edu/covid
During this season, make sure to protect yourself from getting sick (flu and/or COVID-19). If you are sick, please stay home from school or work. To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, please follow these important tips as follows:
- Get a free flu shot at a County of San Diego Public Health Center Immunization Clinic. Obtain more information.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick and encourage others to do the same.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Seek immediate medical care if symptoms become more severe, e.g., high fever or difficulty breathing.
Typically, human coronaviruses cause mild-to-moderate respiratory illness. Symptoms are very similar to the flu, including:
- Shortness of breath
During this heightened cold and flu season, faculty and staff have been asked to be flexible and accommodating with students and colleagues. If a student or employee has to be excused from school or work, please work with them on any missed work or assignments.