Student Ambassdador Application 2013-2014
Welcome to MiraCosta Student Ambassador Application page. To learn more about what Student Ambassadors do, please visit the Student Ambassadors Blogs!
Student Ambassador Job Description
Under the direction of the Coordinator of School Relations and Diversity Outreach or assigned supervisor, participate in the following student services areas:
- Assist in the delivery of outreach programs and services targeting underrepresented populations and promote college enrollment throughout the local schools and community.
- Provide peer-advising services for high school students.
- Develop workshops and presentations for high school, junior high, and elementary school students.
- Attend mandatory weekly staff meetings.
- Represent MiraCosta College during college nights, career fairs, school visits, and other informational programs.
- Confirm and lead campus tours.
- Assist as needed in the planning and/or implementation of special activities such as Senior Admissions Day, College Hour presentation and Relay for Life.
- Staff the campus information booths during registration periods and semester startups.
- Within provided guidelines, assist staff during arena registration and orientation/advisement sessions.
- Ensure the proper distribution of MiraCosta informational brochures and class schedules to area schools.
- Participate in leadership workshops and in-service training as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned.
- You must be a currently enrolled student at MiraCosta College or a first-time student who intends to enroll in classes during the fall 2013 and spring 2014 semesters.
- You must be at least 18 years old by the first day of employment.
- You must maintain a 2.5 grade point average or higher and be enrolled in a minimum of six units per semester.
- You must be available to work between 5 and 15 hours per week including occasional evening and weekend commitments (hours will vary depending on the time of year i.e. registration periods, college fairs, orientations). Consideration will be given to student class schedules.
- You must be willing to provide assistance and be able to effectively communicate with people of diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds.
- All Student Ambassadors must be available to attend program training sessions and the teambuilding retreat. The training sessions will take place between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. during the week of August 5. The teambuilding retreat will take place during the week of August 12.
- Intent to enroll at MiraCosta College for at least two semesters after initial employment.
- Valid California driver's license.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Active in school or community events.
- Enjoy public speakings and work in a team enviornment.
Applications must be submitted online no later than July 10, 2013.
To be considered for the Student Ambassador Program, we ask for:
- academic transcripts indicating a cumulative GPA of 2.5 in your high school or college coursework
- submittal of a complete Student Ambassador application (see below)
- one letter of recommendation from a person familiar with your academic and leadership abilities (a person who is your teacher, counselor, clergy, club advisor, coach, business leader, employer, etc.)
For more questions, please contact:
Student Center, Building 3400 Campus Map
School Relations/Outreach Office, #12A
1 Barnard Drive
Oceanside, CA 92056
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.