Resources for Students
Getting Students Connected to Support
At MCC, we want to support our students who may be experiencing personal and academic challenges that hinder their educational goals. Please refer students, at the earliest point possible, by submitting a CARE Referral Form so we can connect them to on and off campus resources.
For more information regarding challenges related to:
- Homelessness & Food Insecurity
- Food & Housing Resource Guide
- Emotional/Mental Health
- Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Assault, Title IX & Discrimination
- Academics/Course Work
- Press Release 9.13.17- California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office: California Community Colleges Encourage Students to Apply for the DACA Renewal Scholarship by Oct. 5: PRESS RELEASE - DACA Renewal Grant - FINAL_9-13-17
- Memo from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office with important deadlines for DACA renewal: Memo to the Field 9.13.2017
- The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has published a quick reference guide regarding the phasing out of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program: DACA_Rescission_0917_612x792_V18.pd
- For more complete information on AB 540 & DACA details see: http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/admissions/ab540.html
Homelessness & Food Insecurity
Did you know a recent study by THE hope CENTER (2019) showed that 50% of community college student's don't have consistent access to adequate food and 60% face issues with unstable housing situations, and 19% are homeless? MiraCosta College can support you on-campus.
Food Pantry: Free snacks, sack lunches, and community food resources are available for students enrolled at MiraCosta College.
Food Pantry, Oceanside Campus
- Service Learning, OC3306, 760-795-6616: Monday-Thursday, 8am-4:30pm; Fridays, 8am-3pm
- Student Center, OC3435, 760-795-6890: Monday-Thursday, 8am-9pm (Summer 8am-4:30pm); Fridays, 8am-3pm
Food Pantry, San Elijo Campus
- Student Life & Leadership, SAN929, 760-944-4449 x7782
- Monday-Thursday, 9am-4:30pm; Fridays, 9am-3pm
Food Pantry, Community Learning Center (CLC)
- Community Learning Center Front Desk, 760-795-8710
- Monday-Thursday, 8am- 7pm; Fridays, 8am-1:30pm; Saturdays, 8am-12pm
Farmers Market: Select fresh produce & dry goods for FREE at our monthly Farmer’s Market.
- NEW LOCATION: Oceanside Library Circle Hub, near the Administration OC1000 building
- For event dates, visit: Fall 2019 Farmer's Market Schedule
“Free money for Food” CalFresh Enrollment Opportunities on Campus: Get individualized help with enrolling in CalFresh benefits by trained MCC staff members.
- To schedule an appointment, call 760-795-6616 or email email@example.com with your availability. Appointments take no more than 30 minutes. Visit the Service Learning Student Information page for more information.
Snack & Fruit Bowls: Snacks are free to students in need of nutritious options on the go on the Oceanside campus!
- ASC - Academic Success Coaching, OC1200 - Library & Information HUB, 1st floor
- TASC - Tutoring & Academic Support Center, OC1200 - Library & Information HUB, 1st floor
- STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Learning Center, MiraCosta Library, Nordson STEM Learning Center (downstairs)
- Veteran's Services, OC3300
- Student Life & Judicial Affairs, OC3441
- SJEC - Social Justice & Equity Center, OC3445
- Counseling Center, OC3700
Showers & Hygiene Kits
- Showers & Hygiene Kits: Students may utilize gym showers and available toiletries (gender neutral and specific) when school is in session. Student ID is required. For more information, call 760-757-2121 x6194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oceanside Gym/Athletics, OC5000
- Monday-Friday, 7am-9am
- Free dental screenings, fluoride varnish, and oral health education by the North County Health Services Dental Van. No appointment necessary. For more information, call 760-795-6675.
- Oceanside Library Circle Hub, near the Administration OC1000 building
- Fall 2019 Schedule from 10am-1pm: August 28th, September 25th, October 23rd, and November 20th.
- Utilize free HIV testing and educational services by the Vista Community Clinic. For more information: 760-795-6675.
- Oceanside Student Health Services Room OC3326
- Fall 2019 schedule, 11am - 2pm: Dates to be posted soon.
Off Campus Support
- 2-1-1 San Diego: A local non-profit providing access to community, health, social, and disaster services, including housing specialists. To view emergency shelter options, visit their Open-Shelter Bed Registry: https://my211.force.com/OpenBeds. For more information, call 2-1-1 or visit https://211sandiego.org/
- Interfaith Community Services: Nutrition & basic needs, employment, self-sufficiency & supportive services, behavioral health & recovery, and housing assistance for veterans & non-veterans. For more information, call 760-721-2117 or visit https://www.interfaithservices.org/contact/
Food & Housing Resource Guide
Wallet-card resource guides are available for students to learn about how to utilize on and off campus resources to aid with housing, food, and displacement concerns:
Emotional & Mental Health
With so many variables and demands in college, it’s common for students to feel anxiety, depression, or even suicidal thoughts when you're unsure of how to handle a situation. Don’t wait to be overwhelmed, see the following services on campus:
Mental Health Counseling
Mental Health Counseling is an important tool for navigating feeling blue, confused, or directly addressing circumstances or incidents in life. Health Services offers free and confidential counseling at the Oceanside and San Elijo campuses. Sessions are 50 minutes, one time per week for six weeks. Walk-in crisis sessions are also available.
- Oceanside Campus, Health Services, OC3326. For more information: 760-795-6675
- Fall 2019 Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, 8am-6pm; Thursdays, 8am-7pm; and Fridays 8am-4:30 pm.
- San Elijo Campus, Health Services, SAN 922. For more information: 760-757-2121 x7747
- Fall 2019 Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm.
- Community Learning Center: Students can be referred to the CLC Front Desk for information on accessing Health Services resources.
Mental Health Services After Hours
- Text “HOME” to 741741 for text-based mental health support from Crisis Text Line.
- Call (888) 724-7240 for the San Diego County Access and Crisis Line for 24/7 free confidential mental health support.
For Life Threatening Emergencies, Call 911
Call 911 if you or someone around you is having a life-threatening mental health crisis.
Medical Services are Free to Students
- Health Services are for currently enrolled students who have paid the Health Services fee. Fees can be paid at the Oceanside Student Accounts Office, OC3202, San Eljio Admissions & Records - Administration building, & the Community Learning Center Front Desk. Health Services assists students with physical and mental health needs, includes medical care provided by registered nurses and a nurse practitioner, and provides access to select over-the counter medication and first aid items.
- Oceanside campus, Health Services, OC3326. For more information: 760-795-6675
- San Elijo campus, Health Services, SAN922. For more information: 760-757-2121 x7747
Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Assault, Title IX & Discrimination
If you feel that you've been subjected to sexual harassment, misconduct, or discrimination, MiraCosta has crisis resources available that can help you. Contact the Title IX Coordinator to file a complaint or find out what services MiraCosta has to offer.
What is Title IX?
- Title IX is a federal law that prohibits gender discrimination on college campuses.
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal educational assistance....”
- TITLE IX, EDUCATION AMENDMENTS OF 1972.
- Hayley Schwartzkopf
Director of Labor Relations & Title IX Coordinator
- The UPRISE (Undocumented People Rise in Solidarity and Empowerment) program offers free immigration legal consultations for undocumented/mixed status students and their loved ones. Schedule an appointment now.
You can also find low-cost legal and immigration services in North County San Diego:
- Readynowsandiego.org — (619) 363-3423- a project of Alliance San Diego that focuses on advocacy, education, and services supporting immigrant families
- Uurise.org — (760) 477-7537- is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization that empowers immigrants and refugees in the U.S. by offering direct legal services, particularly to those who have few resources to obtain legal assistance.
- The Financial Aid Office offers a variety of FREE workshops and events designed to give you tools to manage your finances. Visit Financial Aid for more information.
- Discounted Bus Passes: Cost is $49.00 for a 30-day Compass Card valid for the North County District Buses - Breeze & Sprinter (not the Coaster). Must be a currently enrolled student. For more information: 760-795-6835.
- Oceanside campus, Student Accounts Office, OC3202: Monday-Thursday, 10 am-6:30 pm; Fridays, 10 am-4 pm.
- San Elijo campus, Administration building: Monday-Thursday, 10 am-6:30 pm; Fridays, 10 am-4 pm.
- For more information about Financial Aid , call 760-795-6711.
Utilize these various campus wide systems to support your academic success: