The Emerging Leaders Institute is designed to help students develop the leadership skills they need to become stronger leaders in their classes, in their student organizations, in their chosen professions, and in their communities. The Emerging Leaders Institute will supplement what students learn in the classroom by connecting them with practical application through community service, service learning and other co-curricular activities.
- To connect leadership learning opportunities with the daily leadership demands of students involved with co-curricular or community service activities.
- To improve leadership competencies and enhance future leadership potential.
- To develop practical application and increase understanding of leadership skills.
The Leadership Certificate is divided into two parts: required workshops and a service project. Total program time for the Leadership Certificate is estimated at 20 to 26 hours (Workshops = 14 hrs. + Service Project = 6 to 12 hrs.).
Although it is optimal to complete the program in two semesters, students may complete the program during their entire time at MiraCosta College.
Students are encouraged to participate in an on-campus organization (ASG, Chariot Newspaper, Student Ambassadors, club, Peer Advisor); or demonstrate involvement in an appropriate off-campus organization (community service, service learning, youth group, volunteerism).
I. Required Workshops
- Communication Skills & Conflict Resolution (CSCR)
- Leadership Styles (LS)
- Diverse Communities (DC)
- Ethical Decision Making (EDM)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (TC)
- Time Management (TM)
- Vision and Goal Setting (VGS)
- Creating Networks (CN) .
- Public Speaking (PS)
TOTAL HOURS: 14
II. Service Project
Students are highly encouraged to complete a service project to compliment their learning. Projects can be on or off campus; established student organizations are encouraged as venues to pursue a service project.
A committee of advisors will review the proposal and make suggestions to the student. Upon completion of the service project, the student will meet with the committee and discuss project outcomes. Estimated time for a service project is 6 to 12 hours.
Benefits of the Program
- Students will develop more confidence because of acquired leadership skills.
- Students will network, develop relationships and build alliances with other MiraCosta College students, faculty and staff, as well as community leaders.
- Students will develop skills needed to have an impact on the community.
- Students will better understand how to apply leadership in their personal lives.
- Students will develop confidence in the ability to explore challenging issues.