FERPA Frequently Asked Questions

FERPA Issues for Parents

Do I have a right to access my child's records?
At MiraCosta College, parents have no inherent rights to access or inspect their son or daughter's education records. To gain access to your child’s records, he or she must provide the Admissions and Records Office with a “Release of Student Information to Parent/Guardian” form signed by him or her.

Can I receive grades and progress reports?
Such things as progress in a course, deficiencies in a subject area, scores and grades on papers, exams, etc. are all examples of personally identifiable information that make up part of the student's education record. This information is protected under FERPA and parents may not have access unless the student has provided the Admissions and Records Office his or her signed “Release of Student Information to Parent/Guardian” form that specifically identifies what information may be released to the parent(s).

What about crisis situations or emergencies?
If non-directory information is needed to resolve a crisis or emergency situation, an education institution may release that information if the institution determines that the information is "necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals." Factors considered in making this assessment are: the severity of the threat to the health or safety of those involved; the need for the information; the time required to deal with the emergency; and the ability of the parties to whom the information is to be given to deal with the emergency.

Whom do I contact with questions or concerns?                                                                   General questions may be directed to the Registrar in Admissions and Records. Email admissions@miracosta.edu.