Thank you for your interest in the Honors Scholar Program at MiraCosta College!
To be accepted to the Honors Scholar Program, we ask for:
- College students who have completed at least 12 units of college credit courses must have a minimum cumulative Degree Applicable GPA of 3.25 (as demonstrated by your college(s) transcripts)
- High school students OR college students who have completed less than 12 units of college coursework must have a minimum weighted cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 (as demonstrated by your high school transcripts)
- Eligibility for English 100 (as established by assessment testing at MiraCosta College or the equivalent; click here for more information)
- Completion of the matriculation process at MiraCosta College within the first semester of acceptance to HSP.
- Submittal of a complete Honors Scholar Program application (see below)
NOTE: Students who do not meet these requirements directly may submit an Appeal for Admission which will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by an ad hoc committee organized by the Honors Coordinator. Please contact the Honors Office for more information about the appeal process.
Application for Honors Scholar Program
To apply to the Honors Scholar Program, you will need to complete three steps in sequence:
- Submit this application online
- Submit two letters of recommendation. At least one should be from an instructor/teacher. Use the link that is provided in the email that acknowledges receipt of your application.
- Submit your unofficial college and/or high school transcripts to Ariana Arant, Honors Secretary, via email as a pdf attachment or other separate method of delivery.
Why do you wish to apply to the Honors Scholar Program? (check your five top reasons)
How did you hear about the Honors Scholar Program? (check all that apply)
Write an essay that explains why you are interested in joining this program and becoming an Honors Scholar. Describe how you would benefit from participating in the Honors Scholar Program and how the program would benefit from your participation. Tell us about your interests outside the classroom, and outline your long term career goals. Be sure to include any achievements or awards you have earned. What should the Honors Scholar Program know about you? (300 to 500 words)
(unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Please check one:
* If you have completed college coursework at MiraCosta College, you may
authorize the Honors Office to access your unofficial transcripts directly. If
you wish to do so, check below.
For Students with College Coursework other than MiraCosta College:
Remember, it is your responsibility to secure your transcripts and deliver them to Ariana Arant
via email or separate delivery. Your application is not complete until your
transcripts have been received. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
Academic Integrity Statement
The Honors Scholar Program is a community of scholars who are committed to
excellence in the learning process, and we assume that all students will pursue
their studies with the utmost in integrity and honesty. Consequently, the Honors
Scholar Program maintains a Zero Tolerance Policy toward
academic dishonestly. All Honors students must know that incidents of academic
dishonesty are unacceptable. Evidence of academic dishonesty will result in
dismissal from the Honors Scholar Program.
Furthermore, the Honors Scholar Program requires all Honors students to abide by
the Standards of Student Conduct as outlined in the
College catalog and by
Policy and Administrative Procedure 5500.
Please Review this Statement
Note: Only applicants who agree to abide by this statement will be considered
for acceptance to the Honors Scholar Program.
By submitting this application, and if accepted to the Honors Scholar
Program, I understand I must abide by the Standards of Student Conduct as
defined by Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 5500. I understand that I
am subject to dismissal from the Honors Scholar Program if I do not comply with
these standards of behavior.
Submit the Application
By submitting this application to the Honors Scholar Program, I certify that the answers I have provided herein are true and correct, and that I have not knowingly or willingly withheld any facts or circumstances which may affect my acceptance and/or participation in the Honors Scholar Program.