Housing Information for Local Host Family
Thank you for contacting MiraCosta to ask about hosting an international student. We are pleased to know that MiraCosta students find welcoming individuals and families interested in sharing their home.
First, a little about the international student program at MiraCosta College:
- there are about 150-200 international students attending MiraCosta each semester
- length of stay can be from 3 months to 3 years.
- a typical student without family in the area often arrange housing with a Host Family Placement Service. Most long-term students will find private housing within a year of arrival.
- students look for housing throughout the school year depending upon personal needs
Housing is the responsibility of each individual student and is not arrange by the college. All information we share for students and community members is collected from public sources and provided for informational purposes. MiraCosta assumes no responsible for the condition/reputation/background of housing providers and does not coordinate nor investigate housing placements.
Because each student must arrange for housing, new students will often use a Host Family Service (see website for contact information) to help with the arrangement of housing. A Host Family Service typically arranges the following:
- receives student and family applications to participate in placement
- communicates with students before arrival to find out housing preference, arrival information, and expected length of stay
- meets with potential host families to find out about their home and preferences for students
- matches students with families
- communicates expectation of host family service to both students and families such as the ability of students and families to change their mind after placement.
Students can also arrange to live in private apartments, homes, or with roommates. A family wanting to find a student without a host family service can advertise in a public forum, such as the MiraCosta online housing information directory or send a paper advertisement to add to a 3-ring binder at the International Office. The binder is available during office hours for students who ask for housing or roommate information. People wanting to list a housing opportunity should expect:
- to advertise costs, general location, and any specific expectations of housing
- to screen and select candidates as is standard for private rentals
We appreciate your interest in supporting international students at MiraCosta. Please contact us if you have any questions or need additional information regarding hosting an international student.
Monday to Friday (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)