- Apply now to spend fall 2018 in London! Program brochure for the Semester in London program is available now. Attend a study abroad information meeting to get more details on the program and learn how to make a financial plan for study abroad. The study abroad presentation is also online. Please note that there has been a change in the list of classes available in London that includes: Literature, Sociology, and Art History. Art 110 will be replaced with Art 105. ART 105 is Art History and Appreciation - Early 20th Century Art (3 Units – Grade only)
Visit the program website to review program details.
- Thinking about London? Don't miss the deadline for the Semester in London AIFS Ambassador Scholarships Submit a complete scholarship application by 12 noon, May 25, 2018 to the International Office, Room 3443, Oceanside Campus.
- New city selected for Spain in spring 2019! Start planning for Seville, Spain for spring 2019.
- Get financial help for study abroad! If you are interested in the Semester in London or Spain programs, be sure to start looking for financial aid and scholarships as early as possible.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add Citrus College’s school code #001166.
- Do you receive a Pell Grant? Consider the Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad. Visit the Gilman Scholarship website to make sure you are eligible to apply. Learn how to create a compelling application by viewing the How to Apply for the Gilman Scholarship presentation and get started on your international experience today!
- More scholarships to help you with study abroad: MiraCosta Scholarship Office, StudyAbroad.com, and Fund for Education Abroad.
What is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an opportunity to attend classes outside the United States for the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals. At MiraCosta College, we offer a semester-length study abroad each fall and spring semesters.
Where can I study?
MiraCosta currently offers one semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters.
Remember that programs are open to all language levels, so participants are not restricted based upon language proficiency. Can't find a program you want at MiraCosta? Visit the International Office. We can help you research a program that meets your needs.
Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?
MiraCosta College students can participate in MiraCosta College-sponsored Study Abroad programs if they have completed a minimum of 12 academic credit units and have a cumulative GPA of greater than 2.5. All Study Abroad participants must be over 18 years old. Feel free to contact the Institute for International Perspectives regarding eligibility requirements for other study abroad opportunities.
How much does Study Abroad cost?
The answer to this depends on the destination, length and fees included in the program costs. In general, students will pay tuition and textbook costs to a California community college at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. Program fees cover airfare, housing, in-country support services, travel insurance, and other group travel expenses in the host country. For semester-length programs, program fees range from $9,000 to $10,000. Study Abroad fees do not cover personal expenses or independent travel expenses. Financial aid is available to qualified students. Scholarships are also available.
Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad can be a life changing experience that gives students the opportunities to learn about another culture first-hand and improve or learn new foreign language in an environment that can't be replicated in a classroom. Students have the chance to travel and make connections around the world, expanding their world views, all while earning transfer-level coursework at reasonable prices. Study abroad builds personal and professional skills that will distinguishes you in the job market. Read about past participants in our international newsletter.
Are there scholarships for Study Abroad?
In a word: YES! All students interested in study abroad should apply for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Before you submit your FAFSA form, contact the International Office for instructions on which schools are awarding financial aid to Study Abroad participants. Next, visit the International Office to learn about scholarship opportunities specifically for Study Abroad participants. There are a number of websites that include lists of scholarships for study abroad that could relate to specific locations or purpose for study. The following are a few sample websites with scholarship opportunities:
Fund for Education Abroad
Globalinks Learning Abroad - Additional Scholarship Resources
MSU Information on Study Abroad Scholarship for Multicultural Studies
The Gilman Scholarship is a federally-funded program to support students at 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs, depending on the length of study and student financial need. U.S. citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.
Do I need a visa to travel on a MiraCosta study abroad program?
No. We design the length of our programs to be less than 90 days so U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa. If students choose to stay longer than 90 days, or if you travel with a passport other than U.S. passport, you will need to investigate what visa obligation you may have.
Institute for International Perspectives
One Barnard Drive
Oceanside, California, United States 92056
We are located on the Oceanside campus in room 3443.
P 760.795.6897 (toll-free outside 760 area code: 888.201.8480 x6897. Contact us via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org