- NEW! Summer 2020 study abroad in Florence, Italy! Sign up for an information meeting MiraCosta Engage to get the details on the program and talk to Professor Andrea Petri teaching Italian Culture (Italian 121) and Professor David Parker teaching History of Western Architecture (DESN 107). Or make an appointment at the MiraCosta International Office, Room 3443, call 760-795-6897.
- Act now for Seville, Spain spring 2020! Deadline to register for the program is November 29. MiraCosta students interested in spending spring semester in Seville, complete the following steps to participate: (1) make an academic plan -- see an academic counselor to review the Spain Program Brochure listing community college courses available; (2) make a financial plan -- follow steps below to apply for Federal Financial Aid and consider scholarships; (3) attend a study abroad information meeting. Or make an appointment at the MiraCosta International Office, Room 3443, call 760-795-6897.
- Get financial help for study abroad! If you are interested in the Semester in London or Spain programs, be sure to start looking for financial aid and scholarships as early as possible.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add Citrus College’s school code #001166.
- Do you receive a Pell Grant? Consider the Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad. Visit the Gilman Scholarship website to make sure you are eligible to apply. Learn how to create a compelling application by viewing the How to Apply for the Gilman Scholarship presentation and get started on your international experience today!
- More scholarships to help you with study abroad: MiraCosta Scholarship Office, StudyAbroad.com, and Fund for Education Abroad
- Bon voyage to our students off to London for fall 2019!
- Plan ahead for a NEW destination for fall 2020 -- Rome, Italy! Expected course options are Art, English literature, and Italian. Start your academic and financial plan now.
What is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an opportunity to travel outside the United States with California community college professors and fellow California students for the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals. MiraCosta College, participates in a semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters.
Where can I study?
MiraCosta currently offers one semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters.
Can't find a program you want at MiraCosta? Visit the International Office. We can help you research a program that meets your needs.
Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?
MiraCosta College students can participate in MiraCosta College-sponsored Study Abroad programs if they have completed a minimum of 12 academic credit units and have a cumulative GPA of greater than 2.5. Classes are taught by California professors so there are are no foreign language requirements. All Study Abroad participants must be over 18 years old. Feel free to contact the International Office with any questions regarding eligibility requirements.
How much does Study Abroad cost?
Students pay tuition fees to a California community college at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. Program fees cover airfare, housing, in-country support services, travel insurance, and other group travel expenses in the host country. For semester-length programs, program fees range from $9,000 to $10,000. Study Abroad fees do not cover personal expenses, meals, or independent travel expenses. Financial aid is available to qualified students. Scholarships are also available.
Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad can be a life changing experience that gives students the opportunities to learn about another culture first-hand and improve or learn new foreign language in an environment that can't be replicated in a classroom. Students have the chance to travel and make connections around the world, expanding their world views, all while earning transfer-level coursework at reasonable prices. Study abroad builds personal and professional skills that will distinguishes you in the job market. Read about past participants in our international newsletter.
Are there scholarships for Study Abroad?
In a word: YES! All students interested in study abroad should apply for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Before you submit your FAFSA form, contact the International Office for instructions on which schools are awarding financial aid to Study Abroad participants. Next, visit the International Office to learn about scholarship opportunities specifically for Study Abroad participants.
The Gilman Scholarship is a federally-funded program to support students at 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs, depending on the length of study and student financial need. U.S. citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.
Here are sample websites with scholarships for study abroad:
- StudyAbroad.com Scholarships
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Globalinks Learning Abroad - Additional Scholarship Resources
- MSU Information on Study Abroad Scholarship for Multicultural Studies
Do I need a visa to travel on a MiraCosta study abroad program?
We design the length of our programs to be less than 90 days so U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa. If students choose to stay longer than 90 days, or if you travel with a passport other than U.S. passport, you will need to investigate what visa obligation you may have.
International Office, Oceanside campus in room 3443
One Barnard Drive
Oceanside, California, United States 92056
P 760.795.6897 (toll-free outside 760 area code: 888.201.8480 x6897. Contact us via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org