- Study Abroad Information Meetings are available fall 2013:
Wednesday, November 20, 5:30pm-6:30pm, OC3101
San Elijo Campus:
Tuesday, November 19, 6pm-7pm, SAN202
- Need help paying for Fall 2013 in London or Spring 2014 in Spain? Consider applying for Federal Financial Aid. Attend an event at Oceanside or San Elijo Campus to get help on completing a FAFSA form for 2013-2014. Be sure to list both MiraCosta College (School Code: 001239) and Citrus College (School Code: 001166) on your FAFSA!
- Scholarships Available!!! AIFS Ambassador Scholarships of $1000 and many other study abroad scholarships are available.
- Want to enter a Travel Video Contest? The 2013 InternationalStudent.com Travel Video Contest is now open! Now in its eighth year, students once again have the chance to win the $4,000 grand prize, a Viewer's Choice Award and other runner prizes, and worldwide fame! SO get busy planning and filming those videos, the world is waiting. http://www.internationalstudent.com/contest/
- Read about the latest happenings during the Semester in Spain 2013!
- Southwestern College offering Semester in Florence, Italy program for spring 2014. Contact Southwestern Study Abroad Office for more details.
- San Diego Mesa College offering Study in Madrid, Spain program for summer 2014. Visit the San Diego Mesa College's study abroad website for more information.
- Adelante Abroad Writing Contest for a Scholarship to Intern in Chile. Visit the Facebook page for more information.
What is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an opportunity to attend classes outside the United States with the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals. At MiraCosta College, we may offer two types of Study Abroad programs:
- Full-time semester study programs offering a selection of transferable coursework in a range of General Education subjects. On these programs, MiraCosta College students join other California students in taking courses taught by California community college instructors. Courses other than international language classes are taught in English.
- Short-term study programs offering intensive language study or an academic class during a 2-4 week international experience. Often these programs are offered in summer.
Where can I study?
MiraCosta currently offers one semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters. This page will highlight CURRENT programs and PREVIOUS programs. Remember that programs are open to all language levels, so participants are not restricted based upon international language proficiency.
Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?
MiraCosta College students can participate in MiraCosta College-sponsored Study Abroad programs if they have completed a minimum of 12 academic credit units and have a cumulative GPA of greater than 2.5. All Study Abroad participants must be over 18 years old. Feel free to contact the Institute for International Perspectives regarding eligibility requirements for other study abroad opportunities.
How much does Study Abroad cost?
The answer to this depends on the destination, length and fees included in the program costs. In general, students will pay tuition and textbook costs to a California community college at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. In addition to course costs in the host country, some meals' costs and excursions' costs may be incurred. Study Abroad fees do not cover personal expenses or independent travel expenses.
Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad can be a life changing experience that gives students the opportunities to learn about another culture first-hand and improve or learn new foreign language in an environment that can't be replicated in a classroom. Students have the chance to travel and make connections around the world, expanding their world views, all while earning transfer-level coursework at reasonable prices. Study abroad builds personal and professional skills that will distinguishes you in the job market. Read about past participants in our international newsletter.
Are there scholarships for Study Abroad?
In a word: YES! First, check with the MiraCosta College Scholarship Office to discuss all scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible. Second, consider applying for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Before you submit your FAFSA form, contact the Institute for International Perspectives for instructions on which schools are awarding financial aid to Study Abroad participants. Finally, come to the Institute for International Perspectives to learn about scholarship opportunities specifically for Study Abroad participants.
The Gilman Scholarship is a federally-funded program to support students at 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs, depending on the length of study and student financial need. U.S. citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.
Do I need a visa to travel on a MiraCosta study abroad program?
No. We design the length of our programs to be less than 90 days so U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa. If students choose to stay longer than 90 days, or if you travel with a passport other than U.S. passport, you will need to investigate what visa obligation you may have.
Institute for International Perspectives
One Barnard Drive
Oceanside, California, United States 92056
We are located on the Oceanside campus in room 3443.
P 760.795.6897 (toll-free outside 760 area code: 888.201.8480 x6897. Contact us via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org