Faculty members play an important role in the service learning process. Each year, instructors from a wide range of disciplines incorporate a service component into their curricula, adding a new dimension for learning. From child development to astronomy, students are engaging in community activities that increase learning, support community needs, rasie awareness on cultural competency, and provide practical experiences.
- Ready to include Service Learning into your courses? Complete one of the following form to register your course with the Service Learning & Volunteer Center. Forms can be emailed to Bea Palmer, Program Coordinator email@example.com or sent to mail station 10B.
- Service Learning: Course Registration Form (Word Format)
- Service Learning: Course Registration Form (PDF Format)
The service learning staff is dedicated to supporting faculty involvement in community based learning. The program coordinator can help instructors:
- incorporate a service component into the syllabus
- identify appropriate service activities and placements that meet student learning objectives and outcomes
- provide on-going training and support
- connect with experienced faculty members for advice
- offer classroom orientations
- assist in the development of reflection activities and assignments
- ensure that paperwork and liability issues are covered
To learn more about incorporating a service component into the curriculum, contact Bea Palmer, Interim Program Coordinator at 760.795.6618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.