Student voices ON THE MCC EXPERIENCE
Thank you to all the attendees of the Student Voices on the MiraCosta College Experience working discussion on Friday, August 19th in the cafeteria. Dr. Wendy Stewart, Dean of Student Development and Counseling, JP Schumacher, Director of Student Equity, and Bridget Herrin, Research Analyst, guided students, faculty and staff members through reports from student questionnaires and focus groups. Attendees also participated in activities and discussions regarding challenges students face while attending MiraCosta College. A sample of recommendations for improving the experiences of students on campus when facing these challenges include the following:
- More student panels to discuss actual experiences.
- Listen to students, take students to where they need to go, provide information on services/programs that care helps them.
- Setup social support and social networks, seeing ourselves beyond one role as a faculty or student, just as people.
- Intrusive contact through mobile counseling.
- Tell students about all the free services we offer (TASC, College Hour, Financial Aid)
- Setup social support and social networks, seeing ourselves beyond one role as a faculty or student, etc., just as people.
- Finding ways to purchase more reserve textbook.
- Gift cards for printing (if we no longer take cash).
- Make it feel comfortable to be at college when not a typical student, share work experiences with class, sense of previous life achievements.
- Assign group projects
- Encourage students to talk to each other
- Free food and signage around school during the first week of class, incorporate all student success, make it festive
If you are interested in the reports from this working discussion, please visit the Minority Male Community College Collaborative (M2C3) page. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Equity Department at (760) 757-2121 extension 6900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
We look forward to continuing these discussions and actions to better students’ experiences at MiraCosta College!