Classes with Zero or Low Cost Textbooks
What is Zero Cost Textbooks (ZCT) and Low Cost Textbooks (LCT)?
ZCT classes typically use no-cost digital textbooks and homework systems. ZCT classes may have optional print texts that are not free; ZCT classes may also have other required materials such as lab supplies, calculator, test forms, etc. which are not free. LCT-designated classes use course materials which may be purchased new for $40 or less at the MiraCosta bookstore.
In SURF, all ZCT and LCT classes are marked with these logos:
You may click here to view a list of all ZCT and LCT or you may follow the steps below to search them in SURF.
How to SEARCH classes with ZERO or LOW COST Textbooks:
At the SURF home webpage, select the Log In tile.
- Enter your SURF ID and Password on the MiraCosta Portal Login prompt.
- Select the Login button.
At the Student Center screen, select the Manage Classes tile.
- Select the respective semester.
On the left pane select Class Search and Enroll.
On the right pane in the Search For Classes text box enter specific keyword(s) for immediate retrieval of courses, for example course title, topic, subject and catalog number, or class number.
- Example: enter MATH, and tap the two arrows >> on the right side or press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Alternative you may click the Additional ways to search link to search classes by Subject.
A list of Math classes will populate.
- If the class is designated with ZCT or LCT a respective filter will display on the left panel.
- Select the respective filter to continue.
You may select the respective class to continue or you may repeat the search steps for a different class.