Search Classes with Zero or Low Cost Textbooks
What is Zero Cost Textbooks (ZCT) and Low Cost Textbooks (LCT)?
ZCT classes typically use no-cost digital textbooks and homework systems. ZCT classes may have optional print texts that are not free; ZCT classes may also have other required materials such as lab supplies, calculator, test forms, etc. which are not free. LCT-designated classes use course materials which may be purchased new for $40 or less at the MiraCosta bookstore.
In SURF, all ZCT and LCT classes are marked with these logos:
You may click here to view a list of all ZCT and LCT or you may follow the steps below to search them in SURF.
- At the SURF home webpage, click the Log In tile.
- Enter your SURF ID and Password on the MiraCosta Portal Login prompt.
- Click the Login button.
- At the Student Center screen, select the Manage Classes tile.
- Select the respective semester.
- On the left pane select Class Search and Enroll.
- How to SEARCH classes with ZERO or LOW COST Textbooks:
- In the Search For Classes text box enter specific keyword(s) for immediate retrieval of courses, for example course title, topic, subject and catalog number, or class number.
- Example: enter MATH, and tap the two arrows >> on the right side or press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Alternative you may click the Additional ways to search link to search classes by Subject.
- A list of Math classes will populate.
- Note: by default only OPEN classes will initially display, to see ALL open, full, and closed classes tap the Open Classes Only button.
- If the class is designated with ZCT or LCT a respective filter will display on the left panel.
- Select the respective filter to continue.
- You may select the respective class to continue or you may repeat the search steps for a different class.