Matriculation and Testing
Some call it the matriculation process. It’s also known as the roadmap to success and it will start you on the right path and keeps you going with what you need to arrive at your educational destination.
Matriculation has four parts: assessments, orientation, advisement and education planning.
MIRACOSTA TESTING CENTER WILL BE CLOSED SATURDAY, JANUARY 13TH-MONDAY, JANUARY 15TH IN OBSERVANCE OF MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY. WE WILL REOPEN FOR NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 16TH.
Assessments & Multiple Measures
There are many ways to complete the assessment process at MiraCosta College. The assessment process uses alternative multiple measures to help place you in courses in which you will thrive. In order to be eligible for placement via multiple measures, students must have recently (within the last ten years) attended a United States high school for 3 or more years. The first step is to review and share the contents of your United States high school transcript with the Testing Office using either a transcript (unofficial or official) or the Mulitple Measures Self Report Update form. Based on how your cumulative, unweighted high school GPA and courses completed meet the multiple measure criteria, some students may be placed directly in transfer-level English and mathematics courses, and some students may also need to take the English and/or mathematics assessment tests.
What You Need to Know Before You Take the English or ESL & Mathematics Assessments
- You must have an Application for Admission on file before you complete the assessments, unless you are assessing for another college. Submit at miracosta.edu/apply.
- Students assessing for another college must pay the $30 assessment fee at the Student Accounts office prior to the assessment. Please check the Student Accounts website for hours of operation.
- Review your overall US high school GPA and the grades you earned in the high school English and mathematics courses you’ve completed as represented by your high school transcripts. Prepare to share this information with Testing Services.
- Appropriate photo identification will be required to take the English, ESL and/or mathematics assessment exams.
- Three words of advice before you take any assessment exams: review, review, review!
- How well you do on these tests determines what classes you will be able to take. Learn how to prepare at miracosta.edu/brushup, where you can also find info on our Bridge to Success in Math Program.
- To complete the English assessment, students have the option of taking our Self-Guided Placement Tool in person at one of our three campus locations. International students, or students still developing their English skills have the option of taking our Accuplacer assessment.
- Students taking the mathematics assessment exam can choose between algebra readiness, elementary algebra, intermediate algebra or pre-calculus.
- You will receive an assessment score immediately after you complete your exam. Included with your score are recommendations for placement in mathematics, English and ESL classes.
- MiraCosta students may take the assessment exams twice and must wait at least 24 hours before retesting.
- Contact the Testing Office at 760.795.6685 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need more information.
Testing Services also houses the Academic Proctoring Center, a unique test proctoring service for students. Matriculation, Assessment and Academic Proctoring are available at the two Oceanside campuses and the San Elijo campus locations.
- You must have an Application for Admission on file before you assess unless you are assessing for another college. (A fee of $30 is charged if taking MiraCosta College assessments for another college).
- Valid photo ID is required to take assessments and to pick up assessment scores.
- Assessments do not require an appointment. See When can I take the Assessments?.
- You are strongly encouraged to review before you assess. See How can I prepare for the Assessments?.
- Students or community members with verified disabilities are entitled to appropriate accommodations. For specific details, contact the Disabled Students Programs and Services Office at 760-795-6658 or visit their website at MiraCosta College - Disabled Students Program & Services (DSPS).
We are committed to providing you with excellent student support and information you need to be successful in your academic career. Please do not hesitate to call 760-795-6685 or email if we can be of any assistance!
Testing Dept., M/S 10B
1 Barnard Drive
Oceanside, CA 92056
Office Locations at Oceanside and San Elijo campuses!
Testing Office, and Academic Proctoring Center,
Bldg 3300, Rm 3334
Testing Office and Academic Proctoring Center,
San Elijo Campus
Bldg 100, Rm 101
P 760.944.4449 ext. 7752
Testing Office, Community Learning Center
Bldg C, Rm 137
P 760.757.2121 ext. 8841
Testing & Academic Proctoring Center now on Facebook!