Getting Started at MiraCosta College
New Student Veterans (first time at MiraCosta College)
1. Submit an application to MiraCosta College
2. Go to the Veterans Education Office
- Obtain all required forms from the Veterans Education Office located in building 3300.
- Submit completed forms and a copy of the DD214-Member 4 copy. Reservists bring Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
3. Request Offical Transcripts
- Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes. This includes military transcripts. Forward the transcripts to MiraCosta College Admissions and Records.
- You may bring in official transcripts as long as they remain in sealed envelopes.
- Request that they be evaluated by MiraCosta College's Admissions and Records Office.
- All transcripts must be received before the end of your first semester.
4. Take Math and English Placement Tests (if needed)
- Testing Office, Oceanside Campus, building 3300 room 3334, (760)795-6685
- Testing Office, San Elijo Campus, building 100 room 1, (760) 944-4449 x 7752
- If this is your FIRST semester at MiraCosta College, you must meet with a MiraCosta counselor BEFORE THE END of your first semester and after all your transcripts are received and evaluated to formulate an Education Plan.
- Note: your counseling session for an education plan may be stopped if your transcripts have not been evaluated.
5. Create an Education Plan
6. Enroll in Courses
- Student must enroll in classes prior to requesting certification for VA Educational Benefits.
- If you need help selecting classes make an appointment to see a counselor.
- After enrolling in courses go to the Veterans Education Office and fill out the Letter of Intent Form.
- Take the Letter of Intent to the Cashier's Office, so they know you have a 3rd party payment and they do not drop you from your classes.
***Directions may vary for student veterans depending on the type of education benefits they are receiving, if they are continuing students, or if they are dependents.***
7. Letter of Intent
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, go to MiraCosta College - Veterans Education Office- Frequently Asked Questions