Getting Started at MiraCosta College
If you are a military affiliated student planning to use your VA education benefits at MiraCosta College, you will complete the following steps.
1. Submit an application to MiraCosta College. Fill out an online application.
2. Apply for your VA benefits. Complete your application on vets.gov.
3. Send all official transcripts to MiraCosta College
- Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes. This includes military transcripts. Request your JST or your CCAF transcript.
- Once all transcripts are received, you must request that they be evaluated by speaking with a counselor from the Veterans Counseling team. This is not automatic. Not completing this step will cause a delay in receiving your benefits.
4. Submit the Military Priority Enrollment Request Form (veterans and active duty only) to Admissions & Records
- A DD-214 or Military ID will need to be submitted via email to Admissions & Records (email@example.com) along with the Military Priority Enrollment Request Form.
5. Complete Matriculation
- To be eligible for priority registration (active duty and veterans only), you must complete matriculation. Spartan Prep can be completed online through your SURF account:
6. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Although this is not required, students are encouraged to apply for financial aid in order to supplement education costs that may not be covered by using GI Bill benefits and/or Tuition Assistance.
7. Meet with a Veterans Counselor to create an Abbreviated Education Plan*
- Appointments can be scheduled by visiting the Counseling website and selecting "Chat with General Counseling Specialist or Staff."
- If all official transcripts are not received and evaluated, please have copies of all unofficial transcripts available for your appointment.
- You must have an ID number to get an appointment
- *Eligibility is determined based on each student's individual situation. Some students are ineligible for an Abbreviated Education Plan based on prior education credit.
8. Enroll in Courses
- Student must enroll in classes prior to requesting certification for VA Educational Benefits.
- You must only enroll in the courses listed on your education plan. If you have questions about the courses you are enrolling for, please make an appointment to speak with a Veterans Counselor.
- Students planning to use Military Tuition Assistance must contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling in order to obtain authorization forms.
- Summer 2020 Enrollment: Please review the important information found under the 'Forms' section of the website before enrolling in Summer 2020 courses.
9. After enrolling in classes, complete your Letter of Intent (LOI) online via SURF.
- For assistance on how to complete the LOI, see the LOI tutorial.
- You will also need to submit the following to Veterans Services via email (VetsBenefits@miracosta.edu):
- DD-214 or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) for Reservists (if applicable)
- Documentation of VA benefit eligibility (any one of the following may be submitted):
- eBenefits Education Enrollment Status or
- vets,gov "Statement of Benefits"
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- VA Form 22-1995 (veterans) or 22-5495 (dependents) You do not need to complete the financial information. This document is used to determine your selected major.
- Abbreviated Education Plan
10. During your first semester, meet with a Veterans Counselor to complete a Comprehensive Education Plan.
- All official transcripts must be on file and evaluated prior to the Comprehensive Education Plan being created.
- For Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) recipients only:
- Complete your LOI the same day as enrollment to avoid courses being dropped for non-payment.
- Students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) or Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) GI Bill may attend a course of education or training for up to 90 days from the date a Certificate of Eligibility or valid VAF 28-1905 is provided to Veterans Services. Students should also complete a Letter of Intent (LOI) online through their SURF account to defer mandatory payment past 90 days until the VA provides payment to MiraCosta College. The student shall not incur a penalty due to late payment of courses that are covered by GI Bill benefits.
For additional questions, please refer to the Student Veterans Handbook.