Getting Started at MiraCosta College
If you are a military affiliated student planning to use your VA education benefits at MiraCosta College, you will complete the following steps.
1. Submit an application to MiraCosta College. Fill out an online application.
2. Apply for your VA benefits. Complete your application on vets.gov.
3. Send all official transcripts to MiraCosta College
- Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes. This includes military transcripts. Request your JST or your CCAF transcript.
- You may bring official transcripts to your counseling appointment as long as they remain in sealed envelopes.
- Once all transcripts are received, you must request that they be evaluated. This is not automatic. Not completing this step will cause a delay in receiving your benefits.
4. Submit your DD-214 (if applicable) to Admissions & Records for possible priority registration.
5. Complete Matriculation
- To be eligible for priority registration (active duty and veterans only), you must complete matriculation. Spartan Prep can be completed online through your SURF account:
6. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Although this is not required, students are encouraged to apply for financial aid in order to supplement education costs that may not be covered by using GI Bill benefits and/or Tuition Assistance.
7. Meet with a Veterans Counselor to create an Abbreviated Education Plan*
- If all official transcripts are not received and evaluated, please bring copies of all unofficial transcripts to your appointment.
- You must have an ID number to get an appointment
- Counselors are located in building 3700 on the Oceanside campus - please identify yourself as a military affiliated student in order to meet with someone from our counseling team. Appointments can be made by phone at 760-795-6750.*Eligibility is determined based on each student's individual situation. Some students are ineligible for an Abbreviated Education Plan based on prior education credit.
8. Enroll in Courses
- Student must enroll in classes prior to requesting certification for VA Educational Benefits.
- You must only enroll in the courses listed on your education plan. If you have questions about the courses you are enrolling for, please make an appointment to see a Veterans Counselor.
- Students planning to use Military Tuition Assistance must contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling in order to obtain authorization forms.
9. After enrolling in classes, complete your Letter of Intent online via SURF.
- You will also need to submit the following:
- DD-214 or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) for Reservists (if applicable)
- Documentation of VA benefit eligibility (any one of the following may be submitted):
- eBenefits Education Enrollment Status or
- vets,gov "Statement of Benefits"
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- VA Form 22-1995 (veterans) or 22-5495 (dependents) You do not need to complete the financial information. This document is used to determine your selected major.
- Abbreviated Education Plan with Veterans Counselor signature
- For Post 9/11 GI Bill® recipients only: Complete your LOI the same day as enrollment to avoid courses being dropped for non-payment.
For additional questions, please refer to the Student Veterans Handbook.