Prerequisite and Challenge Process Information
A prerequisite is a course that must be completed with a “C-” or better before students can register for a specific course. Prerequisites are established to ensure students have the knowledge and skills necessary for success in the course.
Students may meet prerequisite requirements through satisfactory completion of designated MiraCosta College courses or by completing coursework from other United States regionally accredited post-secondary institutions with a grade of “C-” or better.
Students can clear prerequisites by submitting the online Prerequisite/Priority Registration form along with an unofficial transcript attached or an official transcript on file with the Admissions office if using coursework from another institution. Prerequisite clearance takes 2-3 business days.
If a student has the knowledge or ability to succeed in a course or program without meeting the prerequisite or corequisite required, the steps listed below should be followed to submit a Prerequisite Challenge. The challenge process is as follows:
- Submit the Challenge Form and email email@example.com with a written statement explaining how the student meets the prerequisite(s). Please attach an unofficial transcript, syllabus, course outline, or other supporting documentation demonstrating the skill level and techniques learned.
- Students will receive an email confirmation once the Challenge has been submitted and will be enrolled in or added to the waitlist for the class on their assigned registration date and time.
- The department has 5 business days from the day they receive the challenge to make
- If approved - The student will remain in the class or on the waitlist.
- If denied - The student will be dropped from the class, and any fees paid will be refunded based on MiraCosta’s refund policy.
Prior College Credit Evaluation Information
Prior College Credit (PCC)
A PCC Evaluation is a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation of official transcripts from previously attended college(s). The evaluation is based on the student’s educational goal and general education plan.
An evaluation request is initiated with Academic Counseling. To initiate the request, the following criteria must be met:
- Be currently enrolled at MiraCosta College. Veteran/Military affiliated students are exempt from this requirement.
- Submit all official transcripts from regionally accredited institutions.
Once all official transcripts are on file, meet with an academic counselor. A counselor will submit the request to the Evaluations Office for review. Once the evaluation is completed, the student and counselor will be notified via email. The student may then make an appointment with their counselor to review all evaluated coursework. This process may take up to 12 weeks.
Students identifying as Veterans of the Armed forces can submit their Joint Services Transcript (JST), Community College of the Air Force, or DD-214 to the Veterans Service Office for evaluation.
For additional information, please contact Veterans Services at 760.795.6750 or firstname.lastname@example.org
International Transcript Evaluations
For students looking to transfer their coursework completed outside the United States, MiraCosta accepts international transcript evaluations that have been evaluated by an approved evaluation service accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Below is a list of approved evaluation services:
- Educational Records Evaluation Services (ERES)
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF)
- SPANTRAN - MiraCosta College students will receive a discounted rate on their evaluation, and a free copy sent directly to MiraCosta College.
The evaluation must include a detailed course-to-course evaluation indicating each course's level (upper PIO & lower division). Transcripts can be delivered in person or via US Mail to the address below. Faxed transcripts will not be accepted.
MiraCosta College, MS #10A
1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056
Please note: this is only required if the student attended an international institution that does not have U.S. regional accreditation.
Graduation Petitions and Timelines
Graduation Petitions for Degrees and Certificates
Graduation Petition Deadlines
|Expected Graduation Term||Deadline to Submit Graduation Petition|
|Summer 2023||Friday, June 23|
|Fall 2023||Monday, September 25|
|Spring 2024||Monday, February 26|
General Timeline for Graduation Petition Evaluation
- Preliminary reviews are completed during the semester. Students will receive an email once their preliminary review is complete.
- A final evaluation will be completed after final grades are posted at the end of the semester.
- Degrees/certificates will be posted to the student's transcript after completing a final evaluation. Students will receive an email once their degree/certificate is posted, 1-2 months after the end of the semester.
- Degrees/certificates are printed and mailed approximately 3 months after the end of the semester.
Academic Renewal alleviates previously recorded substandard (D or F) grades that are not reflective of a student’s present academic performance. Requests will be processed in 3-5 business days. (AP4250 Academic Renewal)
G.E. Certification Request
Request CSU General Education (CSUGE) or IGETC Certification. General Education certification is an official document from MiraCosta College that certifies a student who is planning to transfer to a four-year institution has met the requirements of a particular GE pattern. Please note GE certification will not be displayed on your official transcript.
This form is used to satisfy enforced course prerequisites through the completion of coursework taken at a different United States regionally accredited college/university or high school. Requests will be processed in 2-3 business days.
Update to Academic Record
Request to alleviate previously recorded substandard (D or F) grades at MiraCosta College with satisfactory completion of the equivalent course at a different college or university. Requests will be processed in 3-5 business days.