What is LAEP?
LAEP, short for Learning Aligned Employment Program, is aimed at providing you with an educationally beneficial internship position that relates to your area of study or career exploration. It is also meant to connect you with full-time employment opportunities after graduation. Funded through a grant from the California Student Aid Commission, LAEP student research positions are paid as part of your financial aid.
How do I qualify?
Eligible students are from an underrepresented background and meet all the following criteria:
- At least half-time enrollment (six units for spring or fall). For summer, students must be enrolled at least half-time in summer courses required for completion of a degree or certificate, or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis for the following normal academic term.
- California resident
- Satisfactory academic progress in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
- Demonstrated financial need as demonstrated on FAFSA or CADAA (check SURF).
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
How do I know if I have a LAEP award?
You can log on to SURF and you should see an estimated award on your Financial Aid award Panel.
Where can I learn more about and apply to LAEP positions?
All approved Learning-Aligned Education Program (LAEP) jobs will be posted on JAIN. Please use “LAEP” in the search area to identify any current positions posted and look for the job type “Paid through LAEP funds.” We are in the process of adding more positions as they become available.
There are two types of positions available for LAEP
- Internal Research Placements - as a LAEP Student Research Intern, these positions range from $16-22/hour. Placement on the internal payscale is based on completed units. If you have questions about your completed units, please contact the Financial Aid Office. Enrollment in an internship or co-op course is required to assure alignment with your career goals.
- External Companies with Agreements with MiraCosta College – These companies have an agreement to have a portion of your wages paid through your aid (MiraCosta will reimburse the employer based on hours worked). This will be piloted in the Fall 2023 semester and more widely available in the Spring 2023 semester.
How will LAEP affect my financial aid?
Hourly wage compensation is funded through LAEP, which is a form of financial aid and is included in your total financial aid package. LAEP wages may not exceed your unmet need for the academic year. As with other types of employment, LAEP earnings are paid like any other job. You will not be permitted to exceed the set hour limit of 19.5 hours per week for all on campus positions in which you are employed. An important note is that wages must be reported on your FAFSA and will apply to the expected family contributions thereby potentially reducing future financial aid awards. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have questions.