This is your best option if you are already proficient in a foreign language and all you need is the units to satisfy a requirement. Instead of enrolling to take the course you sign up to take a test. No attendance is necessary; your time will be spent preparing for a comprehensive written and a comprehensive speaking exam, both of which are representative of what a student should know at the end of the semester in a particular level. CBE is offered only in Fall and Spring Semesters.
Currently, the International Languages Department at MiraCosta College offers CBE in French, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. It does not offer credit by exam in German. Students are allowed to take a maximum of two exams per semester.
You must be currently enrolled in at least three units at MiraCosta College to receive credit for:
- SPAN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Rosa Viramontes
- FREN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Cristina Toharia
- ITAL 101, 102, 201, 202, 210
Contact Andrea Petri
- JAPN 101, 102, 201, 202
Contact Emiko Kiyochi
All Credit By Exam Student TO-DO List?
- Fill out the CBE form. You can find the CBE form in the Admissions and Records Student Forms page.
- Email the language contact person above to set up a date and time to take the exam and to receive instructions on how it will be proctored. *Spanish CBE petitioners: instead of emailing the instructor, read the instructions and procedures form below.
- Show up 5 minutes early on your confirmed date and time.
- Take the 2-hour exam.
- Wait until all grades are posted at the end of the semester for results.