Log In To Canvas
Online Education Support Resources
- Tutoring - options for ALL students include in-person and/or online support from:
- STEM Learning Centers (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- Writing Center
- Academic Support & Innovations (tutoring of additional subjects)
- International Language Resource Center
- If a MiraCosta tutor is not available at the time or for the subject you need, try:
- Online Library Support - library resources and 24x7 librarian chat
- Tech Support
- Additional student services available online include:
- Faculty Support for Online Education
Please note: Most of these resources can also be accessed within Canvas through the Student Support Hub.
Education: Anytime, Anywhere
Did you know that each year, MiraCosta College offers over 600 hybrid and fully online classes, and half of all MiraCosta students take a distance education class? View a list of all of these classes in the current and upcoming semesters. Many instructors provide detailed information to help you decide if a particular class is right for you, and to learn how to get started in an online class.
Considering Online Classes?
- Use this checklist if you need to know how to enroll in an online class at MiraCosta
- Review these tips for success as an online learner and the technical requirements for taking an online class
Student Online Academic Readiness (SOAR)
- MiraCosta offers many Student Online Academic Readiness 1-hour workshops online and in person during weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, and 9 of each semester. Students can select a workshop time and sign up in advance. (This used to be called the Student Orientation to Online Learning.)
- MiraCosta students can self-enroll in the Canvas SOAR course to have access to all the resources and practice opportunities provided there. Note, though, that students must participate in a live workshop in order to be credited with completing this.
- Faculty can learn more about the content of the SOAR and how to know which students have attended a SOAR session.
- You may view a recording of the workshop (just over an hour long) from fall 2023. Use the playback bar or the interactive
transcript on the right to navigate to the most useful parts of the video for you:
- start - 3:45 - Welcome and discussion of how SOAR attendance is counted
- 3:45 - 11:35 Overview of Zoom interface and tips for using Zoom
- 11:35 - 15:54 - Discussion of using the annotation tool in Zoom, and the benefits and challenges that come with the flexibility of taking classes online
- 15:54 - 17:09 - Overview of the content for the rest of the session
- 17:09 - 30:10 - Question-driven discussion about tools and methods to manage your time and plan your work for your online classes. The recording does not capture the interactive question that was shown during the session, but the question, answers, and responses from the live participants are described and shown in the chat (far right tab of the Zoom recording window).
- 30:10 - 31:45 - Transition as the participants self-enroll in the Canvas Online Academic Readiness Canvas course. (skip this part!)
- 31:45 - 38:17 - Overview of Canvas in general, Canvas course navigation, and the Student Online Academic Readiness course content and organization. SensusAccess is also mentioned.
- 38:17 - 47:43 - Discussion of resources that support accessing, selecting, enrolling, starting strong, and keeping you going in online MiraCosta classes.
- 47:43 - 51:50 - Overview of Canvas practice area inside the course, discussion of tools for accessing Canvas material in alternate formats, demonstration of Canvas global navigation features, and discussion of the Canvas Student mobile app.
- 51:50 - 53:30 - Demonstration of how to access various online resources and live support folks through Canvas including Tech Support and the Student Support Hub with online tutoring, writing center, counseling, and much more.
- 53:32 - 57:06 Demonstration of library resources accessible through Canvas by librarian Steven Deineh.
- 57:06 - 58:06 Main session conclusion and transition (skip this part!)
- 58:06 - 1:04:34 More in-depth demonstration of online library research resources, especially how to use library databases.