ELI accepts minors into our program on a case by case basis. Our minimum age requirement is 15. If you are under 18 and would like to attend ELI you must have a local guardian or parent in the area that you are staying with throughout the duration of the program a guardian waiver form must be submitted to receive acceptance from the director of the English Language Institute. ELI has the right to refuse acceptance to any minor student.
Steps After Your Application
After your admission to the English Language Institute, you will receive a SEVIS I-20 document necessary for you to receive an F-1 student visa.
Prepare yourself before your F-1 visa interview by reviewing the "10 Pints to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa".
Make Flight Arrangement
San Diego International Airport (SAN) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) are the common international airports used. Uber and Lyft are popular means from both airports. From LAX you can take another bus to Oceanside or Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to arrive in Oceanside.
* Fees are subject to change without prior notification.
All vehicles parking on campus are required to display a valid parking permit: four-wheeled vehicles--$35 per semester (during the summer session, it is $17.50). Exception: vehicles displaying a valid California disabled placard are not required to purchase a parking permit.
Student ID card is included in your student services fee. ID cards and replacements are issued at the Student Activities Office on both campuses. The student ID card supports a variety of college services such as the Heath Center, language labs, access to the MCC library, discounts at various movie theatres. Students without a valid MCC student ID card will be asked to provide proof of current semester registration along with a government-issued photo ID and proof of current address.
Tuition and fees must be paid at the time of registration during the new student orientation.
Students can pay tuition and fees using U.S. dollars, Master or Visa cards.
The transportation estimated cost above does not include the cost purchasing a car.
Living expenses varies based on housing option. Prepare a minimum of $1,000 cash for initial cost.
What To Pack
- Carry your passport, I-20, money and all official documents in your carry-on luggage.
- If you have medical insurance valid in the U.S., bring proof of coverage in English. You must have insurance while attending MiraCosta. We also offer medical insurance through our school. The cost is about $365 for 8 weeks.
- A US credit card (Visa or Mastercard) will be useful in the U.S. You will need at least $4,000 USD for the initial expenses including tuition and housing fees.
- Cultural items. You may consider bringing traditional clothing or other small unbreakable items that help you share your culture with others.
Arriving In The U.S.
The International Office would like to meet you and welcome you to the college! The International Office is located in room 3443 inside building 3400. Please bring the following documents with you when you visit the International Office:
- Passport & F-1 Visa
- Form I-20 & I-94
- Local Address Info
Are you Ready to Travel?
Here are the required documents that will allow re-entry into the United States:
- Valid passport
- Valid F-1 visa
- Signed SEVIS I-20 (within the last 6 months)
- I-94 card [if your I-94 card is removed when exiting the United States, you must receive a new card when re-entering U.S.]
- All previous I-20 issued
- Proof of medical insurance and photo identification
- Proof of registration for current semester
If you do not have all of these documents, please make sure you contact our international office at 760.795.6897 or email@example.com prior to leaving the United States.