What is HSE?
Highly Supported English (HSE) provides students with enhanced instruction in college-level composition. HSE focuses on reading, writing, technology, and academic support services.
- Two courses taken in the same semester–a transfer-level English course accompanied with a support course (ENGL 100 + ENGL 52)
- English 52 immediately follows English 100 and both courses are taught by the same instructor
- English 52 has a maximum of 12 students and offers laptop access to all students for the duration of the class
Why should I take HSE?
- Provides reading, writing, and critical thinking strategies essential for the successful completion of English 100
- Prepares students for success in other coursework, transfer and careers
- Forms strong bonds both with fellow HSE classmates as well as your instructor
- Fulfills your goal of successfully completing English 100
What will I do in HSE?
- Participate in small group work, discussions, peer review, workshopping, drafting, and revision
- Answer questions left over in the English 100 class
- Brainstorm ideas and plan a course of action for upcoming English 100 essays
- Work closely with your instructor, Writing Center Consultants and classmates
What are some typical assignments/activities in HSE?
Your instructor’s primary goal is to provide assignments which will help you to successfully complete English 100.
- Composing and revising English 100 essays
- Writing reflection essays on the writing process
- Working on grammar and punctuation
- Developing college skills
- Working through problems outside of the classroom
Who will benefit from taking HSE
- Students who want extra support in tackling college-level reading and writing
- Students who previously withdrew or unsuccessfully completed English 100
- Students who want to build strong relationships with their peers, their instructor and their college
- Students who are returning to school after an extended break
- Students who are new to college
SURF is saying, in order to enroll in ENGL 100, I have to also enroll in ENGL 52. What's the deal?
Be sure to add both courses, ENGL 100 and ENGL 52, in your cart to register and for HSE