MiraCosta College Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides communication support services for enrolled students of the College with documented Deafness or hearing loss by arranging sign language and oral interpreters, real-time captioners, note takers and/or by loaning FM “assistive” listening devices. The following are policies and responsibilities for the provision of sign language interpreting and real-time captioning services.
The interpreter’s job is to interpret what the instructor and your class members say, and to voice your signing when appropriate. You should direct your questions to the instructor, not the interpreter. Raise your hand and get your instructor’s attention. Interpreters do not provide tutorial or academic assistance in your class. If you need help, ask the instructor or contact your SAS counselor to discuss additional campus resources.
Real-Time Captioner Duties
A real time captioner who is either on site or working from a remote location transmits spoken word to print using a specialized keyboard and software system. The transcript of what is being said appears on a computer monitor for the student’s viewing. Captioners do not provide tutorial or academic assistance in your class. If you need help, ask the instructor or contact your SAS counselor to discuss additional campus resources.
- Contact the SAS front desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6658 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
- During the initial SAS intake appointment, a new or returning student will present an audiogram by a licensed audiologist or medical doctor verifying their hearing loss.
- Continuing students must meet with SAS each semester to obtain services.
- Continuing students needing interpreters or captioners should utilize Priority Registration as part of their reasonable accommodations.
- Shortly after the Priority Registration period, students must meet SAS Counselor to request services for the upcoming term. Registering and requesting services during Priority Registration ensures that timely services can be provided.
- Notify SAS that you will need interpreter/RTC services immediately after you register for your classes.
- Schedule and meet with a SAS Counselor to authorize your interpreter/RTC services, address any other accommodation needs, and to update your Academic Accommodation Plan.
- Notify SAS immediately (48 hour notice or more if possible) if you need to change classes in your schedule, or miss a class due to illness or an emergency: email@example.com, 760.795.6658.
- SAS may contract with outside agencies for interpreters and RTC’s. The interpreter or captioner sent to the class has met the professional criteria of the agency to provide your accommodation and their selection is at the sole discretion of the contracted agency. SAS has no control over the interpreter sent to the class, and thus cannot guarantee preferred interpreters or captioners for every class session.
- The interpreter/captioner will wait 15 minutes for you to arrive to class and then will leave unless we are contacted by you.
- Should you be absent from class without notifying SAS, a “no show” three times, your services will be suspended until you meet with the SAS Faculty Director to discuss your extenuating circumstances.