The Commitment That Guides Our Work
MiraCosta College has an expressed commitment to equity and inclusion for students, faculty and staff members who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA). The MiraCosta College statement on equal access makes specific reference to assuring equity “without regard to accent, age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, economic status, ethnic group identification, gender, marital status, medical condition, national origin, parental status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.”
California Education Code Section 66271.2 indicates that the Governing Board of California Community Colleges has requested that each community college district designate an employee at each college as a point of contact for the needs of LGBTQIA faculty, staff, and students. In addition, “at a minimum, the name and contact information of the designated employee shall be published on the internet web site for the respective campus and shall be included in any printed and internet-based campus directories.
How LGBTQIA+ Life has evolved over the years at MiraCosta
- The Out @ MiraCosta directory was created, serving as a tool for students actively seeking out a staff and/or faculty member who is also part of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- MiraCosta College participated in the Campus Pride Index assessment tool in Spring 2016. While our overall score was a disappointing 1.5 out of 5 stars, it made it clear that there is a lot of work to be done and set us on our path to get to where we are today.
- The Joe Maak & Pride Resource Partners LLC scholarship endowment was created to award annually an LGBTQIA+ student or active ally.
- Single user restrooms were resigned with plaques reading “INCLUSIVE” and featuring a mixed gender icon.
- The Trans* Pride Scholarship became fully-endowed.
- In the spring of 2017, the Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC) Scholarship was created.
- The first position solely dedicated to LGBTQIA+ equity was created and held by India Pierce.
- The first annual Transgender Day of Remembrance brunch is held.
- LGBTQIA+ Team grew to include their first Campus Aide, Jordan Sanchez.
- June 28 - On the historic 50-year anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, the Queer and Trans People of Color Scholarship was fully endowed.
- LGBTQIA+ Team expanded it's communication efforts with the creation of a Instagram page and newsletter.
- First annual Lavender Welcome is held.
- Cecilia Gentili hosted the second annual TDOR Brunch with special guests Qween Jean, Marquise Vilsón, and Andrew Gonzalez, with special performances by Keijuan Thomas and Linda LeBeija.
- The Pride Inclusion Training created by India Pierce and Jordan Sanchez was launched. This new training took the place of the previous signature training, Safe Space.
- Jordan Sanchez transitioned into the Interim Specialist position while Fran Bautista (they/she) joined the team as the new Student Success Liaison.
- A student version of the signature Pride Inclusion Training was released in Fall 2021.
- Lucio Lira and Cyndy Garcia were hired as academic counselors as a resource for LGBTQIA+ students.
- Writer and trans activist Tiq Milan was the special guest at the 3rd annual Trans Day of Remembrance Brunch.
To learn more about these events and more read “LGBTQIA+ MiraCosta College, History & Inventory” by our very own Steven Deineh.