Name Change Process
To ensure that an individual's name reflects their identity, MiraCosta College makes it easy for students to change their preferred name. There are two ways for students to change their names:
- Students are now able to change their preferred name online.
- Students are always welcome to stop by Admissions and Record to submit a paper Preferred Name Change Form.
- Students can add pronouns by completing the Pronouns Addition Form.
The Preferred name is the default name automatically used on class rosters and student ID cards, in online courses (Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle), and to borrow items from the college library.
Note: The Office of Admissions and Records does not currently require any documentation to add or update a preferred name. If students wish to change their primary (Legal) name, documentation is required. For more information about legally changing your name and gender in the State of California, check out this informative page from the California Courts.
Gender Sexuality Alliance Student Club
The Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) is one of the oldest recognized student clubs at MiraCosta College. Formerly known as the Gay Straight Alliance, the club’s mission includes strengthening the LGBTQIA+ community through social activities and community service, promoting acceptance and tolerance by embracing diversity, and advocating for human and civil rights.
The GSA club meets regularly during the Fall and Spring semesters. To learn more, check out their Engage Page.
Endowed Student Scholarships
There are multiple student scholarships available for LGBTQIA+ students and active allies. More information about these scholarships is available on theMiraCosta College Scholarship website; tax-deductible donations to all scholarships may be made at the MiraCosta College Foundation website (please put name of scholarship in donation notes). The current scholarships available are:
- GSA Club Scholarship - In the spring of 2014 the Gender Sexuality Alliance Club (formerly known as the Gay Straight Alliance Club) successfully endowed a scholarship fund by raising more than $25,000.00. The annual GSA Scholarship awards $1,000.00 to a current MiraCosta College student who identifies as a member of - or an active ally to - the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Joe Maak & Pride Resource Partners LLC Scholarship - In the fall of 2016, the Joe Maak & Pride Resource Partners LLC scholarship endowment was created and a $1,000.00 scholarship will be awarded annually to an LGBTQIA+ student or active ally.
- Trans* Pride Scholarship - In the spring of 2017 MiraCosta College made history by fully-endowing the Trans* Pride Scholarship. This scholarship focusing on transgender and gender non-conforming students in higher education is the first scholarship of its kind in the world.
- Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC) Scholarship - In the spring of 2017, students and employees established - and began fundraising for - the Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC) Scholarship. Highlighting the problematic climate for queer and transgender people of color both inside higher education and out, this scholarship seeks to raise visibility for - and conversations about - the unique and specific needs of QTPOC individuals. Donate here.
More information about these scholarships is available on theMiraCosta College Scholarship website; tax-deductible donations to either scholarship may be made at the MiraCosta College Foundation website.
Rainbow Stoles (for Commencement)
Rainbow commencement stoles for graduating LGBTQIA+ students and allies are available for purchase at the Oceanside Campus Bookstore. Faculty and Staff who have been LGBTQIA+ Safe Space trained also wear rainbow stoles at commencement. Students interested in wearing a rainbow stole should complete afree, interactive online training.
Mental Health Resources
MiraCosta College provides access to a number of mental health resources for both students and employees. Student resources include free and confidential individual, couples, and family counseling with the Mental Health Counseling team in Health Services. More info may be found on theHealth Services website. Employee resources are on theHuman Resources website.
Focusing on a variety of topics related to sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression; the Prism Collective is an initiative of the Student Equity Department and Health Services for LGBTQIA+ students. This space allows students to share their experiences in an affirming space while building community.